1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

OCD / Stuff / Clean up.. OMG It Is Hard

Discussion in 'General' started by becvan, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Well, I had my best freind come in and start "THE CLEAN UP." From my bedroom, one trunk and two book cases we hauled out 7 super large bags, and around 8 normal sized garbage bags. Just from that. We've barely got my house started. LOL some things I couldn't even watch as it went. I can now get in my closet, find my spare sheets and only have the books that are neat or mean something to me.

I didn't realize how bad I had gotten. It's a two-fold issue for me. One: I hang on to stuff the more chaotic my life gets. Two: I get yelled at by my parents for throwing anything out.. so now I'm scared to.

To make it worse, the more clutter, the less peace I get. So this is the start to decluttering my house, then we are going to Fung Shui the house. I'm shaking like a leaf now.

We made a deal for me to get through this. She has final say over anything that goes, everything leaves the house on the day we sort and I am not allowed to bring it back in. If I do, my kids have instructions to call her!

I'm proud of helping through some books out.. believe it or not.. I wanted to cry.. it was really hard.. so tomorrow we are hitting the rest of the book cases.. then the rest of the living room. LOL this is becoming a massive project.

bec

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Bec, helluva friend! I boxed hundreds of books to throw out before. Hubs paniced and insisted to at least take them to a second hand books store to sell. We still have a ton of books. I have always wanted to go the fung shui thing. The less the mess and more "stream lined" my home is the better. Just between my husband, a teen, and a toddler... It will be a while. And since I love chickens as a pet of choice everyone gives me chicken related gifts... I swear I live in a chicken hut.

Good luck, it is hard letting go of things we have. I may not practice the whole twisty pretzle thing of yoga but I have been working lately on studying the mental side and the thinking... Too many possesions and pursuit of them are supposed to be stressful if I get it right. And it makes perfect sense. Actually a lot of the thinking makes a lot of sense for me.

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

In spite of the anxiety of it, it must feel really good to get you place uncluttered. Feng Shui is pretty cool, I'd like to do that with my place too.

I never understand people who are like "don't throw that out"! Your parents are weird for yelling at you. Maybe because I'm from a military family and we had to move a lot, but I've never lived in clutter. I'm totally the opposite of a pack rat... I throw out or recylcle everything. There's very little that I consider indispensable except some books, journals and artwork. And even those things I will throw away sometimes.

Anyways sounds stressful but good!

5. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

Bec,

Think of it this way.. the more you throw out,the more room you have for finding new stuff!!!:biggrin: The new stuff may give you new feelings, possibly for the better...

A lot of Mom's & Dad's are "Don't throw anything away" types of people.
    Parents or grandparents of the "depression era" are well known for that attitude.

Hey Veiled! Ranger says "I totally agree with you, thinking definitely makes sense sometimes!" :poke: :rofl:

The library loves you when you donate books to them. (The whole recycle thing here!)

I was once told by someone that moved a lot, that if you don't use it/see it within a year, get rid of it. Easier said than done for me....:doh:

Good Luck & try to enjoy yourself

D (wildcritter)

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Tell Ranger har har.... LMAO. Maybe I should proof read and think too LOL. But then it would not be me then would it??? Y'all crack me up.

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Bec,

When I hit 30 (not sure why it was at that age), I went from pack rat to minimalist in my home. I just looked around and thought 'too much stuff!' I was merciless-I tossed crap I'd been holding onto for years. Books went to the library, clothes to the thrift store, other stuff went right into the garbage can. When I got finished (it took some time) I felt like I could breath in my house again. Every six months or so, I hit the closets in the house because that's where all of the crap accumulates...at least in my house. I may have given up my pack rat ways, but I married and birthed a couple. *sigh* LOL

Also, think about it this way. It might be an external indication of what's going on internally with you. De-cluttering and going Fung Shui-letting the positive energy flow freely. Just a thought. :)

Enjoy your project!

8. becvan

Thanks guys!

Nothing is being given away, as when I try to do that.. it ends up sitting around then eventually getting put back, so the rules are it goes straight to the garbage so I can't undo everything I'm attempting to do!

yes, I'm a closet packer myself! LOL, everything is hidden, but there is tons! I'm looking forward to a cleaned out space and hopefully a positive enegry flow!

We've made sure my room is clutter free as it's the "safe room" for whenever someone is upset or anxious. That is where to kids head to. I have two peices of furniture in there that we are going to paint to match the "decor" to make it even more calming. (My room is all different shades of blue)

Hmm maybe there is something to the hitting the thirties and throwing all your crap out. Yes, I'm striving for minimalist.

bec

9. becvan

Hard work paying off...

I thought I would show some of the work I've got done.. this is my living room... I got rid of an old couch, an old chair.. three bookcases (2 large, one small) rearranged, traded in an old bed and dresser for the rocker.. I can see walls! My saddle is now in a place of honor.. I still have to do the computer mess you see.. and the floor.. ugh that is a wicked project.. but I'm getting there!

bec

Attached Files:

10. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

HEY I have that exact same brownish armchair lol!!

Your place looks clean. That's awesome bec. :)

11. becvan

Does it have a funny diamond pattern on it.. that is kinda brown but kinda burgendy? LOL I love that chair..

Thank you, that is weeks of hard work.. will post pictures of matt's room (which is all done) tomorrow.. he's sleeping so no cameras! Lol

bec

12. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Oh... lovely and clean. I am a bit of a clean freak... soooooooooo, you would expect things to be that way with me. Not over the top, but just clean and tidy.

13. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

oh, i am a clean freak, but i have gotten very lazy with this, just don't feel like it, the only option is clean it up or go somewhere i can't see it, and that doesn't appeal to me either. just another inner conflict, lol.
    cathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar