1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

OIF Vet - Taking Lives to Saving Lives

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chdaty, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chdaty

chdaty New Member

Hello everyone. I'm not real sure this will be a good place for me, but at this point I have to try. I have been looking around at some posts for a few days and decided that it may be a good resource.

A little background: Marine OIF vet. Figured that when I got home, a job where I can save instead of taking lives would be a nice change of pace, so I went to nursing school (yes, men can be nurses) and now work as a trauma nurse in an Emergency Room. Talk about putting stress on top of stress.

Anyway, I'll be lurking around reading.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Welcome, I'm glad you said hello. There's several members that are vets and several that are emergency workers here on this board. I hope you can find some info and help here.

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. New here too. Worked at the trauma center for about 4 years. Man did you knock on the right door. Don't worry about confrontations or people judging you. It won't happen here. I fought the war on the home front a little too long.

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey ch, welcome to the forum. this is a good, safe place. lots of real help.
    cathy

6. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around.

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

How you going mate, and glad you joined. I think this is the right place for you mate, because PTSD is PTSD, regardless how you got it. Yes, I am a vet also, but PTSD is the same through us all, it only changes in intensity and quantity of symptoms really at any given moment.

Wow ha... I agree with you about putting yourself in trauma's way. I can see why you have made the move to a nurse, being the taking lives to now saving lives, as it gives some purpose and healing to yourself in order to do good in life. Many with PTSD move into fields like this, not so much nursing or any emergency type work where they are exposed to more trauma, but more jobs and positions where they can help people, regardless what it is, just help and give their own soul some inner peace from the trauma suffered. Its therapeudic, to say the least. I know there are some nurses here with PTSD, and I think you might just get the answers or helpful solutions from experience you need to keep going.

8. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

HI Ch, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you have PTSD, but then again, I'm sorry that I have it too...:rolleyes:

You've found a wonderful place, though, as we know the things you're feeling and experiencing, having gone through it ourselves.

Oh, and congrats on going to nursing school. My husband is a nurse and loves it!

9. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Welcome Ch I hope that you find this a great place to talk with others who have an idea what you are going thru. Nursing is a great career but also a tough one, well done to you.

10. ranger2_75

ranger2_75 Active Member

Ch, hi. I'm a vet also, thanks for serving your country it takes something special to do it. Hope your new career is fullfilling. I look forward to chating. Welcom abord.

11. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi CH,

Welcome and I hope you find what you're looking for here. It's a good place.

12. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Active Member

Welcome Devil Dog,

I am also A OIF Marine Vet, glad to have you. Looks like you and I think the same way, trying to save lives instead of taking them.. I am trying to become a Firefighter, I am starting all my EMT stuff soon. Again, welcome aboard.

-DD

13. IraqVet

IraqVet New Member

Welcome

There are a few OIF vets that read the forum. I did my time in the sandbox too. Like many of us, I don't know if I will ever come to grips with it. It is starting with us - just like it did with the Vietnam veterans 30 years ago.
    It sounds like you must be managing things okay. I couldn't handle working in an ER. It would be too much for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar