• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

OMG!!! - Therapy Takes So Much Out of Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remnarc

Learning
Does anyone else feel like they have been ran over by a tour bus when they get done with their sessions? I feel it every stinking time. I leave the office more tired then when I woke up lol. I know it is good for me and generally speaking it feels "ok" to talk about it but man does it feel like I just ran 20 miles!

I know exactly how you feel. I went back to my first psycho therapist because I was getting no where with the one that accepted my insurance. So I am back with the one that does help me and I will have to worry about how to pay for it later. I know when I leave there I AM EXHAUSTED, not only from the therapy but from having to use my brain to dig out all the stuff that needs to be dealt with. I am tired all the time anyway from the chronic pain but at least when I leave therapy I know I am tired for a good reason. She makes me feel like I am working towards a goal, and she does not candy coat anything. She knows full well the struggles you go through when you have PTSD but she will be there to help you help yourself for the long haul.

I know exactly how you feel. I just came from counselling today and am so worn out, feel like I can sleep all day. It does take alot of energy. Now I know why she suggested I stay off work for a bit. However to continue seeing her I need $$$$ so I am in a bit of a bind. I dont know what to do. Maybe looking for part time job would help. We just need to take a breather I guess when we need it.

Ohhh yes, my sessions completely flatten me. I'm usually so exhausted I have a hard time driving the ten minute drive home!! It's a good sign that you are putting effort and honesty into your sessions!!

Bec

yes, it is mentally exhausting, i am stressed out before i even get there, then after, i often have to sit in the car for a few minutes before i can drive, because i'm shaking so much.
cathy

I feel it every stinking time.
Remnarc, this is great. A good sign indeed. Sounds like some good stuff is happening in you. I remember leaving therapy sessions feeling much the same way, and it was always followed by much progress. That of course is when I had a therapist, who was worth his pay, and more. Still regret something regarding him. He asked me once to write a letter for him, to present to the mental health depart. that he was employed by. They were letting him go. He was superb, highly effective and skilled, but this mental health syst. was not. Their philosphy was to keep you emotionally tied in knots, provide no opportunity for healing, keep you hurting and coming back thereby providing them with a service. Among all the others, he was different, he empowered his clients through his therapuetic approach, helped us heal, and taught us how to strengthen and cope for ourselves so we wouldn't grow dependent on the system. And, quite naturally he was let go. .....Back to the letter, I tried hard but never completed it and got it to him in time.

Anyhow Remnarc, you sound great!

Remnarc, I know what you're talking about...it's exhausting...therapy and school at the same time...probably not such a good idea.

Cookie--I sometimes can't stop shaking after a session...and, sometimes I'm angry when I leave ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back