• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

On edge more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it.. I am just now getting to a place I don't set with my back to the wall in public places... but sometimes will still get up and change seats so I can watch the room and see the exit. Depends on my stress and anxiety level of the day.

I think I would myth bust confusion over what you're feeling v.s. being on edge. If there is confusion of course you might be on edge. It's the proclivity that may be more the issue to see where you're heads at. That and your preconceptions about what it is to be on the edge.

Because in reality, once we step out our heads we're on the "edge" of anything. Aren't we?

Yes I would feel more comfortable with my back to the wall than I would being in the center of a room.

Men make it worse. Feel somewhat more comfortable if it's a woman I have to deal with in those situations. Assessing exits. Etc Danny you hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that an acute attack of hypervigilance can be suffocating, the air thickens, sounds are distorted, my body reacts with both a loss of energy and varying degrees of tremor. I have forced myself to finish the task and not abandon yet another half full shopping cart in an aisle. The effect is taxing and I am unlikely to leave home for several days afterwards. I have developed a form of numb apathy to deal with being in public.
Before, hypervigilance was a useful tool, now it is a limiting factor.
I gotta say this, I really hate the tremor, makes me look like a doddering old man.
Sometimes I trade a fork for a spoon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back