• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Otc Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on why you aren't sleeping.

Valerian does it for me. It is a muscle relaxant. There are some mixes that my health food store sells that are good too...

The thing that really kept me from sleeping for a long time were all the little LED lights (that glow even when things are OFF) I finally eliminated all of them (and put the phone in another room) and it REALLY helped. Dark. Bodies like to sleep when it is DARK. Well, mine does anyhow.

I have racing thoughts that interfere with getting to sleep. I'm up all night and it's driving me crazy.

600 mcg of Melatonin works for me and I have to turn off all electronics and read a book for about 30min to an hour after taking it. If I just take it and then watch tv or try and lay in the dark, it doesn't work.

Racing thoughts.
Passion flower is the one you want. It may leave you slightly groggy in the morning - from all those thoughts that haven't been racing...

There is also this stuff Ashewe... wait... ashwagandha - I have a student that swears by it.

Meditation works too, but you have to practice practice practice.

Melatonin works for my daughter. I would be psychotic from chronic sleep deprivation if we hadn't figured out that Melatonin works for her...:confused:

I love melatonin. The pills, not so much as they don't seem to be nearly as effective. Sublingual is a bit better, but I think that most are sugary, and most have B vitamins (which can help or hinder sleep, depending on the person.) I love my dream water, as it is the fastest acting and most effective for me. Its not cheap, but well worth getting a good nights sleep. (You drink it.)

Dark. Bodies like to sleep when it is DARK. Well, mine does anyhow.
Yes, I can confirm this; I use a sleep mask since a few years and it really helps. Because since I was a child I would wake up by even the slightest beam of (day)light. Even the numbers of the clock radio were to bright, so I couldn't find sleep.

Ditto on the sleep mask! I use one and love it.

Oh, and Unisom/Benadryl/ZZZQuil isn't all that great for racing thoughts. If anything, I advise against it as it does nothing in that area. I can't take it b/c it will make me feel EXTREMELY drugged but not put me to sleep. Its a hellish sort of feeling.

@Solara where do I go to get sublingual melatonin? I agree with you re: B vitamins they jack me up in a not good way.
@sun seeker i haven't tried anything. I take Geodon which is an atypical antipsychotic. It's rough on the body but it's the only drug that helps my depression.
Anybody ever try kavakava?
@Eleanor where would I go to get the herbs you mention? I've not heard of either. There is a Whole Foods store about thirty minutes from me. There's also a very eccentric guy named George nearby that sells herbs and vitamins. My therapist told me to go visit him then tempered it by stating that no matter who goes to him, he makes a recommendation and claims to use it with great success!!
So I'm not sure how I would determine if any of these interact with the Geodon. Good advice, as always. I don't read in bed, it overstimulates me.

What about Unisom? Or Benadryl - @joeylittle pointed out on an earlier thread that while in Canada they have the same active ingredient, in the U.S. they apparently are different. It's the diphenhydramine that makes you sleepy. It works for me once or twice a week. You'd want to check with a pharmacist for drug interactions with the Geodon (and anything else you might be taking) of course.

Any health food store should have them. Whole Foods seems like a good bet.

Re interactions - you could google "herb interaction with Geodon" and see if anything comes up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back