• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Peoples Thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 10686
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10686

I hear other peoples thoughts in my head, clear as day as if they were my own, but they are clearly not mine, they are in different "voices" and not relevant thoughts having nothing to do with what I'm doing at the moment at all they are just garbage thoughts with no purpose rhyme or reason to me, like having the wrong radio frequencies or something. Lots if different peoples thoughts pop up. It used to be worse and I had gotten a handle on it but now that I've started school and stress has gone up it's starting to be a bother again. Had anyone experienced this, heard of this or got any feedback?

I am sure you appreciate the impossibility of what you are saying. It is not possible that you can hear another persons thoughts. If you are hearing voices then I suggest you get yourself reviewed by your doctor. I know some people manage quite happily with auditory hallucinations but for others medication is required to keep them at bay.

I am not saying I don't believe your experience, I am sure it feels like others' thoughts, but it is important that you recognise this for what it is and seek professional help.

Building upon what Lucycat said:
  • Your description is worthy of a psychiatric and medical/neurological evaluations. I urge you to seek medical attention; there can be a variety of causes.
  • When you see a professional, describe experience in even greater detail: what are the other people's thoughts you hear, do they direct you to do things?
  • Additionally, mention if you notice any physical changes, since you stared hearing other people's thoughts.
  • You stated a good clue, something important: added stress unmasks-decreases our resistance to, underlying conditions that would not appear, otherwise. Due to this, you might want to immediately decrease your stress. This is a degree of control you may have.
  • When contacting a psychiatrist, discuss (demand) taking a leave of absence/FMLA until you don't hear the voices that don't seem to be yours. I am sure, medically, this request will be granted. You don't want the voices to interfere with school or work.
  • A well-intentioned suggestion: the longer the condition continues without treatment, the increased chances there are that your condition will be harder to reverse; you want to keep your toehold on sanity.
  • Please, let this forum know how you are doing. Take good care!

Last edited:
There are some excellent Voice Hearer support groups throughout the world. In my corner of the world they form the Hearing Voices Network Australia, but they are affiliated with various other national groups. I would strongly encourage you to seek out your local group :) they are lovely people.

I went to the World Hearing Voices Congress conference last year in my professional role and it was WONDERFUL. Very warm and inclusive, as well as very very informative. My main takeaway messages were that voice hearing is more common than society thinks it is, and that there are lots of people living their normal humdrum lives alongside their voices (including some of the mental health professionals who presented at the conference). Managing stress seemed to be a common theme, as did forming a useful understanding/relationship with voices (with professional support).

Bottom line - some people hear voices, some people don't. And if your voices are not malicious or attacking that seems to make them easier to live with. Having what seems to be a mistuned radio running inside the noggin sounds tiring though. I hope you're able to find time and space to do some nice activities for yourself while things are so noisy in there :)

If you want any details for the Voice Hearer organisations drop me a line and I'll dig them out.

I would highly encourage you to seek medical attention, as I certainly am no doctor, but I know those are possible symptoms of DID (dissociative identity disorder). I have actually read autobiographies of individuals who were diagnosed with such and mentioned experiencing exactly as you just said - almost like radio frequencies - prior to the full onset. Those voices eventually manifested themselves into full on individuals.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you. Simply encouraging you to speak to a professional about this, if you haven't already. Good luck to you. Take care.

@forwardmotion462 - as a caveat to my post, your description suggests that you have been living with intermittent voice hearing for quite some time. Hence my very relaxed tone. If you have a trusted therapist, please do tell them that your voices are currently stronger. And if you don't have a trusted therapist, seeking out someone who has experience working with voice hearers would be useful :)

Professional support is always a good idea. Hearing voices doesn't have to mean anything more than you hear voices though. In Western culture it's been built up as a pathological symptom, but for many people it's just part of who they are.

Sending best wishes :)

I didn't want anyone to freak out by my admitting this. The "voices" aren't malicious. They are random and pointless. And they aren't even voices. They are thoughts. They are not auditory hallucinations . I'm handling them well enough and have been for long enough for no soy to be able to tell at all, I just was curious. I feel like some peoples reactions were a bit... Intense I guess. I'm not extremely psychotic or anything. It's just thoughts that aren't mine.

They are in other peoples "voices" like you know how your thoughts are in your own voice, well these thoughts are in different voices, belonging to different people. Who I sometimes see an image of who they belong to

Is it hearing voices if it is a thought, not an audible voice?

@forwardmotion462:
Thanks for clarifying, just what was needed.

When I wrote my response I was 'working' with the mildest and strongest ways of understanding your description of voices.

With the knowledge that they don't seem to be related to your activity at hand, they are curious-to their nature, and to your trauma. I'd keep a therapist informed of them.

My experience with voices:
-I heard my parents' abusive responses to me, whenever something would go wrong, in my adult work.
-Those critical parental voices became more and more disabling, louder, and interfering with my 'in the moment' activity, whenever I would be taking steps, towards my own empowerment.
-For a while, I stopped work, started therapy, and eventually re-engaged as I could demonstrate that i could handle the inner conflict/voices that would arise.
-The "intrusive thoughts-as mine are diagnosed, still arise from time to time. Now I have the tools to work through them.
-My intrusive thoughts were never unrelated to my past abuse, nor to my daily anxieties.
-It took me a while to be able to sort out and recognize my intrusive and anxiety thoughts.
-A good trauma psychologist will have useful suggestions, in how to work with your thoughts.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back