• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Support Groups/websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean for PTSD or are you just curious what other sorts of support groups are out there?

I belong to a number of other websites but the PTSD section is just one of many forums on the site so you don't get the diversity of subjects and the amount of support that you do here. I've found that those sites are dominated by a few people and if you don't agree with them, then you're on the outs. They like to have things their way as a way of keeping themselves stuck, I think? I usually go to those sorts of sites not for the PTSD support, but to visit the other forums.

In terms of PTSD support, I think this is the best site. Of course there are other sites out there that can help, such as ones for childhood abuse, etc, that relate to PTSD, but again, I've found the tone to be a bit whiny and the people aren't so interested in finding a way to heal as they are just looking for a place to complain. (That is, they don't like the hard hitting constructive criticism as you need to wear your kid gloves there....and obviously its frustrating for me to not tell people what I really think....Sometimes the truth hurts, but they rather be coddled.) Honestly, I haven't been to that childhood abuse site in many years now because I never got any real support there other than things like (((HUGS))) and "it'll be ok...".

Yes, there are other web sites or resources. As for actual face-to-face support groups, nothing in my area that are specific to PTSD but there are other groups. An organization called Depression and BiPolar Alliance has groups in many cities across the USA. I attended as a supporter for a short time.

I approached outside groups much as I have done here. To borrow a phrase from another member here years ago, "Take what you need and leave the rest" Everything at ANY resource will not apply to you specifically. But there are parts and pieces, nuggets of truth, some small realization that you can glean to help you. And just as this forum is a safe place to know you are not alone, for those willing to go, a support group can do likewise.

I attended a support group at my college for survivors of sexual asault for a little while. I did not find it helpful. The woman who led the group was awesome, and she is the one who was my voice when all this crazy shit went down with a vey unstable stalker I had on campus. BUT, the stories there were one-time assaults, and no one else had been abused as a child or had multiple traumas, so I felt very out of place. I also suspect I was the only one with PTSD, although a few might have, I don't know.

I actually think my involvement with that group might have been the thought that prompted me to get on Google and look around, which brought me here.

Out of the Fog is a site for the supporters of someone with a personality disorder or someone whom could use a support group to assist with the concerns or understanding the personality disorders.
It is good to go to if your family of origin, in-laws (un-chosen) or current partner or x-partner (chosen) add to your stress cup. They have some awesome data but do not gear it to anyone that falls somewhat into the DSM5 ...so our announcement of PTSD is not their agenda and not particularly recommended.

12 Step programs have on-line support. I have found them extremely invaluable in both codependency and coping with substance abuse for myself or in association of others.

*clarified

Last edited:
Out of the Fog isn't just for supporters. Many of us have given the PD person the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back