• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Overeaters Anonymous For Ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
Some of us have been put on meds that cause us to gain weight. This happened to me and I have researched this on WebMD and Drugs.com and both have listed "weight gain" as a possible side effect of some of the meds that we get prescribed for the various mental symptoms that arise due to PTSD.

Others of us have just used overeating and other eating disorders to try and deal with our PTSD symptoms.

Either way, eating disorders, which can be addressed by this 12 Step Program, come up with PTSD sometimes. I have seen this mentioned here and there on these Forums.

Overeaters Anonymous, (OA), has helped me with my weight problems, as well as some of my PTSD symptoms, such as worry and anxiety.

The program can be more indepthly looked at, at oa.org but in general it is a 12 Step Program that helps you lose weight (or gain weight if you are Anorexic or Bulimic). It also helps you to deal with life on life's terms and have more serenity in your life. As well, you get a closer relationship with the God of your understanding. Even Atheists and Agnostics can join, there is special info for these folks.

For me, the program gives me hope that I can maintain the weight I have gotten to, which is that I am no longer overweight. This is really important to me, as one med I was on caused me to gain 60 pounds in 4 months! It took me 6 years to lose that weight in another Program. In OA, I was able to lose my regained weight in a shorter period of time, and so far I am keeping it off. I have heard success stories of folks in OA for 30 years and more, who have successfully kept the weight off.

So I hope this info can be of help to those of you who may suffer from weight and eating problems of any kind.

Some of us have been put on meds that cause us to gain weight. This happened to me and I have resea...
@SheilaKathy OA is a helpful 12-step program for over-eaters like you said regardless of the overeating catalyst. I was on Seroquel for a misdiagnosis and I gained up to 304 pds. at one point in time! And other anti-depressants aided me in over-eating. I also have an eating disorder bulimia w/o vomiting. Binge-eating which I prayed to God to literally "God help me to eat to live, Lord, rather than - living to eat." And God answered my prayers beyond what I prayerfully asked of Him (God). For, He answered my prayer with His perfection. I now cannot at this moment in time - under or overeat. And God took colon (severe and could have been lethal) issues now post-surgery (just got off-line talking to a woman in another forum about this) and through this awful surgery and removal of sigmoid colon, He (God) took something horrible and planted flowers all around my colon issues. Meaning although I still have colon issues, God with my free will - willingess helped me to help myself to drop my weight down to 170 pds. @SheilaKathy! And God made it so (for me) that I have to eat healthily now, or suffer the former dire consequences. Bible as you know says our body is His temple and we are not to abuse and/or defile it.

I still sin and fall short, and will until this body dies and my spirit is resurrected (thank you Jesus). And I choose not to overeat again this moment in time one minute at a time (OA) one day at a time (AA), etc, and God gives me the strength to continue on this journey of recovery from overeating. I still have my moments and have to deal with not doing this healthy food eating regimen to perfection. And you know only God is perfect, we Christians have Christ's righteousness, and we also have free will.

I choose this moment not to overeat, and I do this all throughout my day. God is so powerful, faithful, and good. All the time God is good, and God is good all the time. Thank you for this post, it has shown me how mighty mighty of a long way God has brought me and still on this narrow road my beloved Christian sister.

Due @SheilaKathy to so many medications that were prescribed for misdiagnosis for decades even - I gained again up to 304 pds. And because of prayer, and God intervening in my life (others praying through colon surgery to God, on my behalf - intercessory prayer) God continues to guide me away from "trigger" foods, I don't bring them in here, unless holidays, and I do allow after a party (church) myself to bring in from party - treats, and I pay dearly for this. (colon does not like confections ie. cake, candies, etc.) and makes my life a living hell whenever I try and eat them. Enough said on my end thank you this post for ironically I just stumbled across a EA (Emotions Anonymous) brochure and 12 step progam - that meets right up the street from where I live on Tuesdays, and when I can, I am going to attend for as you know all of these meetings are God-centered. God's Love and His Peace I pray for you @SheilaKathy. Love (agape) JadesJewel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back