• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Painting My Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

KwanYingirl

MyPTSD Pro
this is a huge accomplishment for me. About three months ago I decided to start tending to my finger and toenails. It has taken some YouTube tutorials, and I've gotten pretty good at painting them. I always told people I couldn't wear nail polish because I worked in the medical field and it was forbidden ( it was in the 70's but not now). I just never looked at myself or dressed up. I guess it's trauma based in that I hated calling attention to my body. Next I am going to attempt using hair product and a curling iron. I came to this party late in life. I am loving my fingernails!

I love painting my nails, too. I do a lot of fun designs, most of which I found online. My favorite is newspaper nails. You paint your nails white or light grey, then let that dry. Dip them in rubbing alcohol for about 5 seconds, then press them on newspaper--words or comics or anything will work. Let that dry for a minute, then cover with clear polish.

:joyful: Yay!
Wonderful accomplishment!
This is so neat!:woot:
My nails are so raggedy, ripped, unattended, unappreciated. I'm going to try this, too!

(It's been 2 years since I last got my hair cut... Although I get lots of compliments on my "Mermaid Tresses", it still needs shaping and better care.)

Thank you, @KwanYingirl and @lux. for your experience and inspiration! Sounds fun and healing:joyful:
:hug::hug:Deer

Last edited:
Well done, I started caring for my nails when I was really struggling with anxiety - each stage of care only took 10 mins or so which was about the extent of my attention span. I've kept it up ever since. Before that my nails were an absolute state and I couldn't keep up with their care.

I hope you enjoy your lovely, shiny nails.

Painting nails can be so soothing, minus the removal of extra nail polish. I use it to also stop self-harm. It's such a great self-care thing to do. I pick wild colors, because sometimes when I look at them it cheers me up. I'm glad you both find comfort in it!

@lux. OMG Never heard of newspaper nails, and that's wicked. Google image had about a million fun things to do with it (really digging the burned edges).

@KwanYingirl ... I couldn't paint my nails to save my life. In fact, I've been permanently banned from attempting it on more than one occasion. (Honey. No. Just no. You look like a 5yo ate a box of markers and then started chewing on your fingers. Just. Stop. Stop it! Noooooo. Don't touch! & get your ass over here. Never. Again. Do you hear me?). For real, an epileptic seal could do a better job. Worse, I'm ambidextrous. No excuse for it.

I still like having them done :D First time I got my nails done professionally was in the military. I thought I was being punked. A pedicure??? You guys want to go get what? <grin> Love. It. Years later, rich or poor, it's one of my outstanding treats for myself. Back when I had money, I used to take my son with me every 2 weeks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back