• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Panic Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic

Confident
Am i avoiding them by sleeping? or is it safer to ride it our awake? I avoid self harm while I sleep which is the only thing that I think about when they happen they are so intense. Does anyone have practical tips ?

thanks

Arctic

Sleeping is beneficial as it can help us rest after being stressed. However, if you're solely dealing with panic attacks by sleeping, you're simply avoiding them and avoidance doesn't help in the healing process.

I have had to have therapy and medication (Klonopin) to deal with panic attacks, so that's what I recommend. I would say sleeping is preferable to self-harm, but a good therapist can help you out with self-harm issues so that you will develop even healthier coping mechanisms. If I am not mistaken, sleeping as a means to avoid things is a sign of depression....or it is at least a form of avoidance, which is in itself, a symptom of PTSD. I wish you success in dealing with those pesky attacks!!!

LH

I notice if I over sleep just to pass the day away that my anxiety will start to build over a course of days. I will start waking up with anxiety. Today is such a day for me, after sleeping a lot off and on for several days I woke up with anxiety but didn't recognize it as that until I decided to stay awake. The anxiety quickly escalated into a panic attack, fortunately I was able to engage myself when my girlfriend got home, we went out for a drive and talked and it seemed to go away for now.

I would suggest that if the panic attack is severe and you have to take a full dose of meds to get rid of it and you are very tired from it all that it is okay to go ahead and nap this one off.

For me getting more than 8 hours of sleep is dangerous territory as I know that I am not exposing myself to regular everyday life's issues and activities. The anxiety just comes back out of nowhere, sometimes with depression also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back