• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Panic Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadowsweet

MyPTSD Pro
I regularly go into high anxiety, where I'm panicking about things related to the time of traumatic experience. But it had been quite a long time since I'd had full on physical panic attacks. But for a few days now, I have been having attacks again. When I have them, I know whats happening to me, and I'm quite good at calming them and not letting them progress. But as I calm one attack, another wave will come, and another and another (especially at night). My startle response is through the roof at the moment too - I'm like a jumping jack :eek:

But I noticed that there is a difference in my thoughts between high anxiety (thoughts relate to my experiences) and panic attacks, in which my thoughts are more often about health, or being startled, in which my thoughts are on the Christmas shopping etc. This got me wondering.

At the moment, my mind is on juggling Christmas, money, work, remembering where the children are meant to be when etc. It's a busy time of year, and I have little time to think about me or give time to any trauma related issues. So I wondered if I may be having more of the sudden attacks or startles, because I'm shoving all my real worries down, so I can deal with the superficial stuff.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I bet the superficial stuff are the worries, christmas is over so hopefully your feeling better now. Everyone stresses over the holidays; everyone reacts differently to stress. Regardless, some of these stresses are rational. I never think its a bad idea to worry about my health, I worry that I dont worry enough (get lazy, eat grease all day, etc). Definently better to manage these worries than simply push them aside and tag them as strange responses to the world around us. From my understanding and experience with panic attacks, I feel that any everyday conflict could trigger them; but me being able to keep them from becoming a full on panic attack is usually contingent on my health at the time. I do however still have alot to learn about my own illness. Hope this helps :)

((((Meadowsweet)))))) I have severe panic/anxiety as well, just checking to see how you are doing, I did not catch this earlier.

I find that I can tread for only so long, per "Flight or Fight" thread, ugh. I thought I was doing well keeping it at bay until after the holidays and skipped my therapy sessions. I was doing okay but it hit me in a single shot, I can't say for sure if I could have avoided it, however I might have gotten grounded quicker. When faced with the severe attacks I believe it's very important to remember I am safe NOW, that what I think or feel is not happening NOW. It seems only when I lose my footing it all takes off into areas I completely panic over.

There are a lot of thread on this site with grounding techniques that if practiced can be extremely helpful. I use writing a lot. It helps me to see where my head is at, I can't argue with black and white. For me it is my reality check. My walks in the morning are also vital. I have to take back what is mine, my ability to not be afraid of life. I don't know if this makes sense but just the sheer act of mobility gives me a sense of power and freedom, huge for someone who is prone to agoraphobia.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Peace and healing,
Rain

Jon, yes, certainly I need to look after myself more and the positive of panic attacks is that I try harder. But the fear during an attack isn't rational. I have IBS that becomes a burst intestine or cancer during an attack, aching muscles become signs of a heart attack and the thumping heart that comes with anxiety feels like its going to kill me any moment now.

Srain, thankyou, I hope you are feeling better too.

I had panic attacks last night and when I went to sleep, I had a dream in which I had panic attacks. In the dream there were malicious people who wanted rid of me, and I couldn't let them find out I was crazy because they would use it against me. But, there were family members and decent people who I would like to have told about my panics, but I couldn't because I had to keep it hidden. I think the dream is quite telling about how I live my life trying to put on a face and keep the difficulties hidden. But I think the more functional I need to be, the more difficult it is. Christmas is done, money is looking better, but I have new year and uni work still to do. I'll get there somehow :)

Reactions: Jon
Panic attacks stink on ice. I've had more than I ever want over the years including several trips to the hospital. When 'your' heart is beating at 140 beats a minute it gets the parameds and emerg-docs attention. Pronto. I am having a serious anxiety or small panic attack now and I've really tried to calm down but as has been mentioned the panic comes in waves and eventually beats me senseless with fear.

I'm sorry you go through that littlebear.

There are ways of stopping them becoming so bad. You might have found your own by now, but if not, I'd be happy to share some with you.

Observe your thoughts, find the thing that triggers the attack, attach a feeling to that thought causing your panic, and change the way you perceive things.

<Edited for capitalization>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back