• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Parasympathetic Nervous System (Fight or Flight) - A Strategic Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tactman

Learning
I embrace the night. Daylight is what bothers me. Here is a thought process that may help. Remember, when its totally dark, you know where you are, noone else does. If someone approaches you, you know where they are, they have no clue your there.

This comes from a combat enviroment but it may help you embrace the knowledge that only you know where you are. You can equip your home so NOONE can get into it without causing so much noise that they would run. You can buy DVR infrared motion sensing equipment that will alert you if anyone moves around outside your house, record the event, and give you time to alert 911 and move to your safe area. When I talk of a safe area this can be a room in your house you can get to quick, that has a dedicated cell phone to it, with a weapon if you choose, that has only one way in and you can lock yourself in. Preferably a steel door is key.

It's all about thought processes and how to manage them when your parasympathomemetic nervous system kicks in (fight or flight). Now, you can beat someone's fight or flight system easily. There is a prinicple we were taught called Boyd's Law or the OODA loop. It stands for observe, orient, decide, act. You redo this thought process after every action you make because the situation has changed because of your actions.

Research this and see if it works for you.

Im throwing this out on a limb here as a civilian example. If you were attacked by someone you were in a relationship with, and you have decided to never be a victim again, then you are always looking, your head is on a swivel. If you think your being followed while walking, do an abrupt direction change and see if they are there. If they would happen to be there remember this. Their brain is processing the fight or flight. You are processing OODA. You have already made one OODA cycle as you observed you might be followed, you oriented yourself to the street, public shops you can run into quickly, if police or other who would help you are near. You decided to turn and confront them and force them into the fight or flight process (which the majority of people flight). Your action was turning. Now that this is done, reset your loop and begin to process information. Observe what this person is doing. Orient yourself with your new directions/escape routes/helpers, decide what you are going to do, then act. If this persons stance is aggressive then you already know WHERE your escape routes are, WHERE the people who are more likely to help you are, and you know WHAT your going to do. You can process both of these cycles faster than they can process the fight or flight process.

Thought I would throw that out there to see if it helps anyone.

It stands for observe, orient, decide, act. You redo this thought process after every action you make because the situation has changed because of your actions.

THis has been very helpful to me, thank you. It is a way to remember that I do have control over myself in those situations and my reactions. Too often I just freeze, but I like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back