1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Parties with PTSD

Discussion in 'General' started by Claire, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello, this New Years eve I've been invited to 2 parties. Obviously thats a good thing but parties mean drink, lots of people and loud music, all of which I struggle with. I want to go out but I dont want to be in a situation that disturbs me. Does anybody know what I mean? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Claire

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Claire, I'm quite sure there isn't a sufferer on this board who doesn't understand. We have all been through or are going through it. It's great that you want to go out! That's wonderful. I have a few suggestions for you, feel free to adapt them to what works for you and what doesn't.

Take a buddy. Make sure this is someone who understands what you need and that they are reliable. They can help you with safety issues, help you leave early etc.. what ever your need is.

Set boundries. Go early, leave early. Only have so many drinks and then you are leaving etc... Set what is comfortable for you and stick to it.

Pre-arrange a quiet place. If this is a freind's house, set up a room you can go to to relax or calm down if you need it. Make sure this room is off bounds to the rest of the partiers.

Have a back-up plan. Make sure you have a safe ride home, etc..

Hope that helps some!!!

Bec

4. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

I've been convinced to go out with friends new years eve eve.

She knows already that I won't be drinking and knows that if I look like I'm freaking to get me out of there asap.

She is my safe buddy, and I know that I can trust her to keep me safe. Helps that she doesn't drink either.
    hugs tight
    cass

5. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Thanks for those suggestions. I think I know what I need now its just making sure I get it. A friend has asked me if I'd like to go and has said I can stay at his place too but the problem is I dont want to be trouble for anyone. I cant rely on myself and my reactions therefore I feel its best if I avoid the party all together.

My friend has a new girlfriend too and I think it would be good for him not to have to worry about me. He's helped me a lot, and accepts and understands all the stuff I tell him about PTSD, but I think me staying at his house on New Years eve might get in the way of his new relationship. There's nothing going on between us, he's just a really, really good and special friend but I'm not sure his girlfriend understands this yet.

6. Josh77

Josh77 Active Member

New Year's Eve Party with AA

I will probably just go to the New Year's Eve party that my church group (Young Adult Ministries) is throwing; there will be drinking,:eek:ccasion: but no one is going to pressure anybody else to drink. i have a few drinks on special occasions(holidays, etc.), but if you want to have a good time on New Years Eve without alcohol... try Alcoholics Anonymous in your area; they always throw parties and/or dances on New Years Eve. Just a suggestion!!

Have a safe holiday,
    Josh

7. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I symapthize, since I wigged out at a party a few weeks ago. I tried not to be too hard on myself (self-critical), and I took the time I needed to calm down outside, away from all the people. Having an "escape plan" is really helpful.

8. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

My hubby and I have been invited to a party tomorrow evening given by the people who run the fencing club I'm in. Part of me wants to go and part of me is scared to death. But we made the decision to go...even if it's just for a short time. And since I know I'll have my husband with me, it will help...A LOT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar