• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

DID Passive influence in dissociative disorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
@whiteraven , thats something I didn't clarify when I asked my first question, so thanks for bringing it up! A DID workbook I got mentioned that sometimes people experience switching, while other times their alters only exert "passive influence" on their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors by their alters, but the text didn't elaborate on what that actually entails or how that looks/is experienced. I don't feel like I switch a ton most days, but I do have these other experiences that I wondered if they were what the book meant by "passive influence"

it's definitely true that if I take the more subtle forms of communication and do something with them, I'm less likely to switch.

I can maybe take some time out and address it, and by doing that, I seem to get more trust from my parts - they know I'm listening, they know I'll pay attention if they feel unsafe. It's usually when I ignore the feeling of unsafety that one of my parts decides "No, I'm gonna need to take over to avoid this situation."

That is such good advice, @Ragdoll Circus, and makes so much sense! Thanks!

I did some research and found a few journal articles and websites that describe passive influence as impulses or affects that the individual does not feel ownership of and so are intrusions from parts/alters without those parts/alters taking full executive control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back