• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of on a side note. I think the University Police system in most of the States is part of the problem in these incidents. There was a recent article here that I think was an Associated Press article. Most large universities have their own police departments. They have full police powers and they have no obligation to report to the community at large or to the public police system.

It gave an example at another university of a female student found partially undressed, etc. The family was apparently told she died of natural causes. Also there have been cases where there have been patterns of assaults that didn't get passed along to the community.

University police are charged with protecting the University. Sometimes that means protecting the University NAME and reputation ABOVE protecting the individual at times. I am not trying to indict ALL university police departments but trying to point out that sometimes they have competing agendas.

ISH

Sometimes that means protecting the University NAME and reputation ABOVE protecting the individual at times.

You are absolutely right and I was a victim of that. My incident happened on a college campus and the school definitely took every measure to make sure it remained out of the media. And it was successful.

University police are charged with protecting the University. Sometimes that means protecting the University NAME and reputation ABOVE protecting the individual at times. I am not trying to indict ALL university police departments but trying to point out that sometimes they have competing agendas.

And sometimes city or county law enforcement agencies protect the community's reputation or influential people within it above protecting the overall community and individuals within it. No different than what can sometimes happen within a university police department. Unfortunately, sometimes people with money or influence can interfere with police investigations regardless of the jurisdiction of that agency.

I know that a lot of women have overlooked their own children being abused and not reported it. However, alot of women report things that are even suspicious, and are made to look like they have a hidden agenda or are over-reacting. This has been my experience but I am first to admit that it may be the area in which I live.

I have had to make reports to CPS and police regarding child abuse. I am a mandated reporter. Once the report is taken, I am not privy to the outcome or any other information. Neither cps of police will update me on findings in the case. According to this procedure, one you have reported it, your job is done. They will actually get very angry at your questioning, which I have done when time has passed and there has been inaction. If we report something, how do we know there is actually a documented report? The exception to this has been when I have known someone, for example, the prosecutor, who has willingly shared that information with me. Generally, everyones rights are protected-the child, the employee, etc.

People ask why McQuerry is still working. He was a graduate assistant. Is that a stipend position? Was he considered an employee -as it was a post grad position and was not on payroll. I just wondered if that had any bearing on their decision.

People ask why McQuerry is still working. He was a graduate assistant. Is that a stipend position? Was he considered an employee -as it was a post grad position and was not on payroll. I just wondered if that had any bearing on their decision.

But after the fact he was hired as an assistant coach. I still contend that hiring him for that position bought his continued silence. Of course that's just my opinion!

I bet you are right. I just wonder how Penn state officials will explain. I am foreseeing that as their reasoning. Even though he was the youngest and had the least life experience, he may have been the least of the evils in all of this.

Do you think that is their stratagy in keeping him as well?

I can't help but wonder if this isn't just the tip of the iceberg. Sandusky had a charity for troubled children for many, many years. Perhaps this can help put and keep sexual abuse in the open, as the Catholic priest scandal has faded. I was molested as a young teen, it was relatively mild, I wasn't raped and not the reason for my PTSD. I didn't tell anyone for many years, I wasn't even cognizent of what had happened until later. But when I started telling people as an adult I realized that it is silence that helps to perpetuate abuse. Whenever the opportunity has come up I tell the story.

While reading about this I also thought about the PTSD sufferers on this site and how this may affect you. This is an awful, awful thing - for the community, for the students, first and foremost for the victims and for all of the sufferers of such heinous acts who will relive their trauma because of this. This will be in the news for awhile.

In the US, Institutions of Higher Ed have crime stat federal reporting requirements.

"The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs."

I'm hoping they get nailed for the Clery violations, too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clery_Act

This story has me so vigilent and ill. Trying to stay away but...just not possible.

I thought the same thing sassy, about all those who have have this childhood abuse and it effects. It is not part of my trauma either, yet I am really infuriated about it, and cant stay away either. It has made me really think about alot of things that others go through. My grandaughter was molested by a relative when she was three, she is now 9. It has re-ignited those feelings of wishing ill on the perp. There seem to always be many victims by the time they ever get caught. My prayers and thoughts are with those victims.

I was not aware that campus security were in fact police departments, as in REAL ones. Hee! The poor guys can't win with me since it just made them worse in my eyes. Yes, it made hash out of my original argument. It does mean McQuery really must have left the information with an agency who did have the power to squish this guy. Still, McQuery continued in both his position and his silence. I know it's too easy to say what he should have done when none of us were there but still- bottom line there are moments when one takes THAT stand, yelling on someone's front lawn until your eyes bleed to hell with the personal consequences. This would be one of them.

I am usually a personal big softie across the board with backing police. The huge problem with campus police having the same power as any other police force would have to be exactly this sort of situation, where of course their very existance is dependent on their loyalty to the school. Like I said, they can't win with me. Now that I know the Penn State police were not rent-a-cops, that they had genuine credentials and failed to use them, they're in the cross-hairs of my contempt along with Mcquery and the rest of the Penn State hierchy.

I agree, it can't be a gender issue on this specific topic. It'd be pertanant in others, just would muddy the proverbial waters here.

The news JUST reported that McQuery's first report was that he witnessed actual sexual acts ( which he described, I'm just not going to ) in the shower. He now has watered that down to what he's describing as some sort of contact. Even the national news is describing this as 'watered down' so I do not see where McQuery or his attorney think it's going to fly.

It does mean McQuery really must have left the information with an agency who did have the power to squish this guy.

But he didn't. According to McQueary's own grand jury testimony, he did not report it to the police. He reported it to Paterno. Paterno reported it to the athletic director. The athletic director conferred with other administrators but never reported it to the police. It has only been in the past few days that McQueary has claimed to have reported it to the police, but I don't believe that for a minute based on the previous testimony from both him and others.

According to this morning's news they are trying to prove he crossed state lines and/or used the internet to recruit victims. If either is the case this will turn into a federal investigation - as it should... and... now Syracuse is in trouble too.

To look on the bright side in all of this - at least it seems that the victims are seeing "safety in numbers" and finding their voice and curage to come forward with such a difficult matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back