1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

People That Soothe Me...

Discussion in 'Social' started by moki, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moki

moki Guest

Hi all,
    I don't know where this post goes, but wanted to share this with you all...it is sweet.

There is a mentally disabled young woman who empties everyone's garbage at the place I work (tv station - big place). She is happy and sweet and the other day (which was a really bad day for me), she came into my office to get my trash and came over to me, without a word, patted me on the head.

It was a simple, silly thing to do...but it made me feel like someone understood how wrecked I was that day.

I am feeling better already just thinking about it.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

ha, angels in disguise. isn't it amazing, the language of caring? glad you're feeling better.

4. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

That's special.

I feel comfort with my hand on my head and quite often my friends and my brother pat me on the head. Its always what I need at the moment although I haven't said it to them. I wondered if it was some sort of instinctive thing. Its what people do instinctively to babies and young children isn't it?

Feels good anyway!

5. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

That is a very sweet story.

When I am down emotionally, or crying, my husband will pat me on the head and stroke my hair. It is very calming and comforting. I think it is very nice how you felt comfort from someone mentally disabled. That says alot about you as a person. So many times people are uncomfortable around mentally disabled people. It sounds like there was more than one angel in that scene.

6. moki

moki Guest

Thank you, Marilyn. I used to be uncomfortable around mentally disabled people, but it seems like they are employed at a lot of businesses these days, so I've gotten more used to them and most of the time they are happy and like to at least say hello. There's another older m.d. woman that works at a bagel shop near my house, and everytime I go in I make up a story (always with her in it) and she gets so excited when I come in.

I have also become friendly with another woman at work and it turns out she is in somewhat of a midlife crisis (similar to me - work wise anyway) and we had a lot of fun comparing notes. This is sort of a big deal to me since I have isolated myself from having any friends for quite some time.

My husband used to stroke my hair when I was sick (this was a looonngg time ago) and it felt so good, since my mother barely touched me growing up. When he did that I always wished that my mother would've done that for me because I know it would've made me feel so much more cared for.

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

My toddler comes up an kisses my head if I say I have a headache and have the blinds drawn.

My niece has downs and she makes all my troubles go away. She is here for now at my in laws for a short while (military and in middle of move to new base). She cannot speak well so she signs. She sees me and gets a giant smile and hugs herself... It means I love you. When she sees me and "tells" me that my day has a ray of sunshine. She is teaching me how to sign now.

8. moki

moki Guest

veiled, that is so sweet. It is just unabashed love that comes from these little and big people.