• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Periods Of Physical Pain Caused By Ptsd?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27181
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 27181

It is possible that the psychological effects of PTSD could trigger some form of recurring physical pain?

Every day, at least every other day, I get a strong pain in my muscles (or bones) which is close to debilitating. It is more often and more severe if I am stressed or feeling a lot of emotions, but mostly just happens when I feel normal and don't expect it. It's not a lasting thing, it's a spur of the moment, flare up for two or three hours at least (sometimes lasting a day or two) and then die down again leaving me with a achy feeling.

For example, in the last month, this pain has flared up a lot over the course of a holiday (which was stressful and difficult to go through). The pain originated in my spinal area and spread to my shoulders, hip and neck. It's always worse in my back, lower back (where your spine curves in very slightly). During the times when the pain flares up, I seem to bruise easier, get more headaches and feel a general stiffness/soreness, my mood also drops dramatically and I get grumpy and depressed.

The only time I can relate to the pain flaring up is when I am stressed, every other time seems completely random. I get less headaches during 'normal' times but still feel the stiffness and bruise easy.

The way I think of it, is during these periods, I become as fragile as a china doll, or I feel it at least. If my boyfriend pokes me, it hurts a hell of a lot compared to an average day. I just feel weak and ill and tired and like my body is just sore, stiff and weakened.

Another example, not during one of these periods, I will still feel weak and still experience pain easier than normal - I often ride on the bus and sat in the chairs, my spine hurts and bruises just from me sitting on the chair and leaning back whilst the bus goes over speed bumps and around corners. Travelling is difficult since I have to lean forward quite a lot, this then makes my back, shoulders and neck to ache - but I'd rather that than have 4 bruises (in a square) on my spine, like I do right now..

Does anyone else experience similar pain or have any idea what this could be? I'm hesitant to go to a doctor because I don't want them to just say "It's all in your head" even though I know it could be.

It's not causing me to be bed ridden or to stop doing things, but it is a nuisance. I have had my hands flare up a couple times which made it difficult for me to do things, simple things, like open doors or go on my computer, or use my phone. It's more of a hassle than anything. Taking pain killers usually makes the pain die down quicker but it still takes an hour-ish.

(This pain started roughly 8 months ago, which is around 4 or 5 months after my second traumatic incident occurred and the pain has worsened in the last 2 or 3 months and occurs roughly 4 - 6 times a week for approximately 4 hour periods [sometimes shorter, sometimes longer depending on what I'm doing - i.e. physical activity, sitting and watching tv etc]. None of that is exact, sometimes I'll get it twice a day, sometimes it'll feel like it the weakness and stiffness lasts the whole week. I also get stiffness pretty much every morning or after being sat for a long time etc.)

I agree with Friday. Get it checked out. Exclude a physical (unrelated to PTSD) cause first. Having said that, it is my understanding that PTSD is often associated with physical symptoms, whether exacerbating an underlying condition or the cause.

Either way, your doctor should be able to help alleviate the symptoms so definitely worth a visit.

Agree on doctor...either general, rheumatology, or physical medicine/physioligy. First I had some blood tests and x-ray done. Turns out it's muscles spasms I haven't quite figured out...but glad I knoiw the bones/spine are okay. My pain is likely a combination of things, including stress and trauma. Stress intensifies it, lowers my tolerance, and makes it hard fo me to listen to my body. I use body psychotherapy but also physical therapy exercises and some medications to deal and help.

Sorry you're in pain...I know how uncomfortable and powerless itg can feel.

I was checked out as in good health. That's when I learned about buried emotional energy or trauma energy. We may not have felt it at the time, but the energy gets buried. The body remembers.

My feet get the sadness - far from my heart. The pain uses to wake me up. I learned by accident that when I cry, it goes away immediately.

I have since made a practice of mindful meditation of the body and am familiar with the meanings of my somatic pain.

Jaw pain is anger. Back pain is a feeling of betrayal. Hands weak mean I feel overwhelmed and not capable to handle life. And so on.

I would get a check up. You don't have to tell him anything you don't want to. Just make sure everything is a-okay.

When I have had long periods of sleep deprivation, I hurt all over. Really really awful pain.

I agree that you need to see a good doctor for testing. Aside from the bruising, it sounds a lot like fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, which is common in trauma.

I wouldn't know what to say when I went to the doctor though? My PTSD isn't offically, written down on paper, diagnosed. My therapist (who isn't qualified to formally diagnose me, but I am seeing someone new, who is, and who also thinks I have PTSD) agrees with my thinking it is PTSD. But since it's not written down or in my notes as a formal diagnosis, my doctor (I don't even see a specific doctor, just who ever I get an appointment with) doesn't know.

I might make an appointment after I speak to my new therapist lady next week, I'll see what she says first and whether she can write a letter to the doctor explaining the suspected (highly suspected) PTSD and hopefully that will make sure he is aware that.

Thank you all for your posts. It's much appreciated.

*hugs* I agree with Brat17 ~ sounds like fibromyalgia :( I was recently diagnosed. It's very often linked with trauma & psychological stuff. It feels like pain in my muscles all over :( Some days are worse than others. It's definitely worse when I'm stressed...

Xxx

Stress has a definite link to pain for me for in my back and in other areas. I see an osteopath to help with nerve pain and I was asking about why I would have been getting worse at times when I have previously seen improvement, she mentioned stress can take up to 14 days to show up in the body as pain and aching, it was at a time I was really stressed.

I know what you say about being poked really hurting, my son does it to me, and I feel stupid for reacting so much but it really hurts, what is strange is that the initial time always provokes the most pain, like it is a shock to my body.

For me the pain isn't all in my head, it's all in my body, it's been so tense for so long it constantly aches, in different places. A physio I used to see said I had one of the tightest backs he had ever worked on, because all my fear, tension and stress shows up in my body.

It doesn't mean your pain isn't real, muscles aren't meant to be constantly tense.

It was really only after seeing an osteopath that I realized just how much pain I was in, for the first time in twenty years I can walk without pain, and I can be touched now in areas on my back and legs without feeling pain.

Ohhhh yea that can happen! I spent 14 years being allergic to gluten, dairy, sugar, soda, juice, fruit, caffeine, and even certain preservatives. I'm on 100mg of zoloft, 20mg buspar, and .25mg risperdal. The meds have stabilized my body so much that I've lost ALL my food allergies to food and can now eat whatever I want. I was so overwhelmed at the grocery store last night that I cried all the way home out of fearful feelings, because I'm used to everything in my life being restricted. It's weird suddenly having options. I'm still in awe and shock that this whole entire time, I didn't actually have any of these allergies, it was just my PTSD. My 10 year old stepson yesterday exclaimed, "I'm SO happy for you!" as I scarfed down a bowl of ramen. lol

My boyfriend has trauma issues and he also gets physical body pain everywhere. I give him massages often to help take some of the edge off. The adrenaline survival mode rush is incredibly powerful. I had also been diagnosed by 3 different doctors, including a neurologist, with benign essential tremor. Got on the sertraline (zoloft) and it stopped. Turns out my tremors were from being under such anxiety.

In my opinion, see a psychiatrist BEFORE you see a regular doctor. It helps tremendously if the doctor already knows about your mental illness and how it affects you. My doctor that manages my asthma told me that my attacks will get triggered more during times my brain isn't under control. But I go to my psychiatrist and say, "I'm getting headaches, nightmares, my heart won't stop pounding, etc." And she prescribes a dosage or medication that will help tone that down.

Never underestimate the physical impact of PTSD.

Last edited:
I'll wait until I see my new therpist next week before making any appointments. I have to go to the doctors next week (for something else) anyway so I'll make an appointment through who ever it is I am seeing.

As much as I want to be, my therapist doesn't want me on medication.. doesn't even want me to try it even though I have expressed (so much) the fact that just talking it out and doing the things we are doing right now, isn't helping (not even in the long run). It's one of those things where it's nice to go and talk but right now, nothing is making me feel even slightly better.. all it's doing is giving me someone to talk to - which in that case, I might as well just lay it all on my boyfriend instead of having to trek out every couple weeks.

Does anyone, from the UK, know of a way to get assigned a psychiatrist and not just a clinical nurse who knows nothing about PTSD? I'm on the NHS (under 18s mental health service called CAMHS) and I never really get much choice in who I see - except this time when all she said was 'the new lady has more experience than I do in regards to flashbacks' and thats it. I feel like the people I am talking to right now don't take me seriously nor do they actually listen. If they did, they'd know that talking isn't what helps me, I'm not that kind of person...

Sorry for the mini rant, I got a bit annoyed earlier and needed to let it out a little.

I had years that I was free of ptsd symptoms for the most part and my body was very healthy. My aches and pains were managable with nearly no meds. Then things happened, one on top of the other. Symptoms started flaring up. Another event, more stress, more symptoms, etc. Now I am in full blown fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I have no energy. Health wise, it is one thing after another. I had rotator cuff surgery in Dec for a partial tear. Afterwards, pain free for 10 weeks, then gradual return til it is now miserable. I now have a full tear and am having surgery this friday.
In the midst of this, my massage therapist said I have no strenght in my glutes. She said that is related to bladder problems. The only problem I have is that my urine comes out slowly, but I did as she said and saw the urologist last week. He dialated my urethra (like-poked wires in my pee pee). Hurt a little and caused a little bleeding. He said skin grows over leaving less opening. Tommorrow I have an IVP-ultrasound of bladder? I think and the next day he is going into my bladder with a camera. It just seems like more things keep failing with stress and poor health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back