1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Personality Traits and PTSD

Discussion in 'General' started by She Cat, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

I have often wondered about this and I finally have the courage and forum to ask others opinion. Not sure just how to word this so stick with me.

I am what I would call a type A personality. A workaholic(although much better and not so bad now) but I used to be awful. I have learned to pace myself better with work. I am the type of person that tackles a job to get it done, and done right. Can't stand to have it done half assed. Can't stop, things have to be done, when they need to be done. I am not a procrastinator.

I find that most people that I (((((personally)))))) know, that have PTSD are similar, and have similar traits. All people don't get PTSD when exposed to trauma, which I find interesting also.

My question I guess is......Does anyone think that because we are this way(if you are too) that it was easier for us to get PTSD, or because we have PTSD we try and compensate and become this way???

I know very confusing and just wondering others thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Wendy

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member Donated

Wendy,

My psychiatrist said she believes that I am that way because of the trauma. That by choosing to be very structured and having to get everything done I am creating a "safe" environment for myself. One that I am in control of so to speak. Just a thought.

Nieccole

melody likes this.
  4. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Interesting question Wendy. I will answer for Evie, as she is offline for a few days now. Evie had always been an overachiever and a perfectionist, since a very little girl. She always wanted things done her particular way and often overworked herself to meet her own standards. She has always been fiercely independent as well, and preferred to solve problems on her own rather than ask others for help or guidance. I believe that is one reason discussing problems openly is so very difficult for her now. My personal feeling is, Evie's fierce independence has been her downfall, as it caused to her to run off and attempt to solve things for herself when she should have been asking for help and talking things out. That is only my opinion however.

melody likes this.
  5. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Haha Kathy, I had a chuckle when I read your post because it sounds so familiar...Everyone in my family always tells me how I never asked for help even as a little kid...always wanted to do everything myself and indeed rejected help when i twas offered.

melody likes this.
  6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

PTSD, by it's nature, will change our personality traits as it changes how we react to things.

Some of us could be Type A's, some Type B's, some calm children, some stubborn etc...

We will all have some of the same traits because we share PTSD. It's just the nature of the beast.

bec

(Personally, I think it's a mix of both. Some are born with those traits and some develop them after the trauma; however, I feel it has little to do with causing the PTSD itself.)

7. lrs

lrs Well-Known Member

I had to laugh a little myself. Because there is often humor in truth. I used to be a workaholic, to the extreme. I remember once in college, I was taking a full load, worked on a horse farm, I was also remodeling a house, and worked part time driving a truck. Now I work my little 40 hours a week, and when I go home I don't worry about work related matters.
    I think you have asked one of the great questions of our time. I'm interested to see what others think.

8. She Cat

Bec,

I wasn't saying that type A personality "causes" PTSD but more on the lines of because we are type A's that we are more apt to get PTSD. Is it because of the personality???? Why is it that some people get PTSD and others with the same trauma don't??? I am just wondering if it has to do with the personality??

I do hear what you are saying Bec as far as PTSD changing us, and the way that we react to things. It's a struggle after that to relearn how to react in a healthy manner.

I just love the answers so far and do hope that others join in.

Nieccole,

I do agree with your description as well. I often have felt the same way....that I am trying to create a safe, and controlled environment. Mostly because we feel that our lives are "out of control" when in reality they really aren't, just feels that way......

melody likes this.
  9. becvan

Ahh sorry Wendy, I misunderstood.

However I don't fit the bill. According to my non-reliable family, before the age of 12, I was a sweet, lovable child. I did not fit the Type A at all.

Now I do.. half the time. When my symptoms are raging I could be the poster girl! LOL

No one knows why some people get PTSD and others don't. NO ONE. It's the big mystery. LOL

And I agree, I work my ass off trying to have a safe and calm environment. In fact, I'm obsessed with it!

bec

melody likes this.
  10. She Cat

Funny (or maybe not) but I wanted to know...In your safe and calming environment.....Do you demand(almost ) no conflict too????? When I was talking to my family 4 yrs ago, I just couldn't stand any conflict, arguing, fighting. I had enough of that too. My daughter would accuse me of walking away in the middle of a fight. DUH!!!!! Yes, I am not fighting with you or anyone.......We never learned HOW to talk....End of story.....

Fighting to keep our selves safe seems to be a normal response.

Wen

melody likes this.
  11. becvan

Raise your voice and go to your room or get out of my house! LMAO... ohhh yes. Anything to avoid conflict. It's not allowed in any manner in my house. And I do demand.. NO conflict.. LOL I'm like a nazi about it.

I will walk out of other people's houses just for voice raising.. so Yep I'm a little over the top at trying to keep the calm!

bec

melody likes this.
  12. She Cat

Bec,

OMG LMAO ROTF.............Sorry to say, I am NOT that bad........But I do HATE conflict of any kind now a days... Just want peace and harmony. Contentment, and peace......

Nazi....I shouldn't laugh at that term.....I used to say that I was like the Gestapo while raising my daughter.....Rules, rules, rules, and if you didn't like it....there were rules about that too....

melody and Portabella like this.
  13. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Over-achieving perfectionist...you rang? Those words have been used to describe me quite a lot in my life. Independent...oh yeah! I think that I'm what you would call an A type personality. Although I'm working on taking it down (up?) a letter or two. My husband calls me stubborn. He told me I could teach stubborn to a mule. I perfer to think of it as tenacious. Even my therapist told me I was stubborn. What does he know? LOL

I used to work 60-70 hour weeks all the time until I burned myself out so badly that functioning became a memory for a while. Burned out so badly I had to quit my job in order to get myself better.

Since I've dealt with the PTSD symptoms, I'm with Bec...raise your voice and it's game over. I leave or someone else does. My husband is Mr. Laidback and has always been the one striving for peace in the house. I've joined his team and it's been a lot better for me.

I like what Nieccole said about working to create a safe environment for ourselves. That really makes a lot of sense to me.

It was a little strange to me that so many others felt the way about themselves that I do. Good question Wendy. Is it just common traits to those who get PTSD or does the PTSD create common traits?

Lisa

melody and Portabella like this.