• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Personality Traits and PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marlene,

Then next time i need to ask a question on the forum, I am going to PM you and have you write the question...LOL!!!

You said what I wanted to say, but you did it in 1 sentence NOT 3 paragraphs that it took me.....LOL!!!!

Ok so laugh, but I can't for the life of me figure out HOW to quote things within the box....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Anyway it was your last sentence!!!!

Wendy,

I consider that line a lucky shot. I'm usually trying to say something simple and it takes quite a bit of time. It's even more fun when I'm trying to speak in public and the old mind decided to go on the fritz!

Ok so laugh, but I can't for the life of me figure out HOW to quote things within the box....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

This is pretty easy. When you look at a 'reply to thread', you'll see brackets at the top and bottom of the quote. Just make sure the words you want to quote are between those two brackets.

Lisa

I'm also very independent. Perfectionist, if its worth doing, its worth doing right! Stubborn too and from a competitive family. I didn't used to ask for help either. I'm the one my mates ask, not the other way round. PTSD has changed me quite a lot though. Some good as well as bad.

Kathy: it may have been a problem for Evie but I also think being stubborn can be a postive. It just needs to be used to our favour. Harnessing our own strength so it can help not hinder.

I will walk out of other people's houses just for voice raising

Bec, this makes me feel so much better. The only way I've found to deal with loud voices is to Get. Out. And I beat myself up for it, expecting that I should/can learn to 'handle it.'

...While I don't know that I'me 'Type A,' I do set very, very high expectations for myself. Like Nieccole, I think that made me feel safe when I was a kid and there was no safety. Now I'm stuck dealing with it!

I am considered perfectionist also! Obstinent, stubborn, determined, hellbent... they are my middle names. It is my quality and fault at the same time!

Kathy: I agree with claire, stubborn does not mean it's bad. For example, my determination and stubborn refusal to give up on something when I decide I want it has helped me to survive. When there is little control over anything else: self-control, self-determination, or being stubborn, can be all a person has to rely on without falling into absolute helplessness and chaos. If that happened, insanity would shortly follow. Evie's independency and stubbornness if you like may well make it difficult for her to open up... I certainly have similar problems as a person who likes to keep total control over myself andmy vulnerability (Another way PTSD is hell to me!). It may have contributed to her need to run, and take control in her own avoidant way... avoidance is a coping mechanism - just a bad one that does not work in the long run. Extreme independent and stubborn traits could be the same. Perhaps that saved her as well as hindered her?

(Sorry Evie... I know you may read this at some point, I feel like I am talking about you as if you are not here, which I am sure you will be at some point.... tell me straight if my opinion in this way is unwelcome or wrong!)

I certainly feel my determination is that way for me... was talking to my therapist about this yesterday actually! If I wasn't the way I am I would have been dead long ago. But if I wasn't the way I am, I wouldn't so often push myself to the edge in ways that I probably shouldn't. I think perhaps sometimes extreme or unshakeably strong traits are a part of a past coping mechanism that hasn't yet realised does not need to be in such full use. In some ways that is a lot of what PTSD can be about... the survival mode being permanently switched on when it does not need to be anymore in reaction to the ultimate and most primitive thing being under threat -life. Any coping mechanisms that helped during that threatened phase would be difficult to drop in PTSD. My long winded theory is that extreme emotion/reaction/action/trait/thinking style etc. etc. also applies as much as the fight/flight response in PTSD....

It's about balance for me. I'm not very good at it (literally and metaphorically speaking!). I find it difficult to learn to lay off myself.

She Cat - Interesting that most others who have replied say they have perfectionist traits! I'm glad nobody thinks a personality 'type' 'causes' PTSD because I doubt anything is that simple, particularly in PTSD. However, the perfectionist element may be related to control issues as they typically are... and it is theorised and shown in studies that one aspect of why trauma can be traumatic is because it is unpredicted, unexpected, uncontrollable, alongside extremely threatening.... so maybe perfectionist personalities have a vulnerability to PTSD in a small way. I don't believe it is something hugely significant, but maybe a possible contributory factor? Nobody knows how many factors there are and what these factors are which contribute to the onset of PTSD, and other disorders also. Researchers are constantly testing out and finding significant results in a wide range of approaches from trait theorists to neurobiology... seems to be interaction of a number of factors starting with the trauma, a whole load of factors in the middle, and ending up in different neurological and psychological processing, extreme distress and survival reactions, thus PTSD. Nobody knows.... fascinating though!

I like the post... gives my noodle a bit of exercise!

We now display many normal "personality traits" as they are more like symptoms. But no one is more or less effected based on their personality type before trauma. PTSD can strike any person and any walk of life. Shy to out going, strong willed to those who roll over, independent to the needy... PTSD is simply something that is hit or miss. If we knew why some got it and others did not we would be making leaps in recovery.

I'd have to agree with most of the other posters on this. Before PTSD I was not exactly a type A personality...although I did certainly like things my way and liked doing it for myself. But NOW - watch out! I am a darn perfectionist in most things! And help? Who needs help? Not me! Drives my daughter nuts. lol!

I love to work and really dont have a choice as to what kind of job I do. It has to be right.

As far as the fighting with anyone. I cant.....I mean I really cant!!!! I cant take it. It triggers everything about PTSD. And people I know really dont like to push me because I am going to be an iddiot if I do have to face comflict. Its very tricky with me at work. Co-workers would not understand. I have to aviod conflict in the workplace. And thats damm hard to do sometimes!!

PTSD and personality

I wish we knew the answer because my husband's first wife did something really terrible to him that would have caused PTSD in any normal person, but I swear my husband must be a very resiliant man because he experiences no PTSD symptoms whatsoever. I know the test questions all by heart, and all the symptoms, and that guy does not have PTSD at all. It is amazing that he could go through that and come out the other side without emotional scars. I am so lucky to be married to him because he is very stable and normal and loving. And willing to be married to me.

I think we would all love to know the answer to this. So far, non-conclusive studies stating it is within family genetics, some believe it is merely rolling the dice, and then the theories continue. If you find the answer, please share it!

I find similarities with those who have PTSD, and you can get that just from all the information here and within the polls.

Those who attribute PTSD often have others in the family that are stress affected, though maybe not PTSD itself.

Many are workaholics / very maticulate people in that they do something, do it well, finish what they are doing, then look for the next thing.

Those with PTSD are typically organised prior to PTSD.

Those with PTSD typically try and please others though likely don't give a shit about them either.

The list goes on and on, but there are a myriad of factors I have coined together from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back