• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Pet Scans Reveal More About Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercy

MyPTSD Pro
A recent article in the New York Times (9/5 or 9/6) wrote about a study using PET scans to track memory formation in the brain. The study showed 5 to 7 video clips to a group of epileptics while they were being screened for brain activity. The PET scans showed the hippocampus light up as the subjects viewed the video clips indicating where the reception of information was located. Several weeks later, the people in the study had new PET scans of their brains while being asked to recall the videos they had seen. (I don't remember who did the study, how many people participated or how the exactly how memories were evoked)I think that the participants were told the name of the video clips one at a time. The exact same areas of the brain light up again. That's the where but most important to us is the fact the the hippocampus fired up for the asked for memory before the people were aware of having a memory.

For PTSD people who get flashbacks it show that the memory begins to fire before we can be aware of it. Therefore, a flashback is a mind event out of reach of our intellectual mind. Biologically, We cannot stop them. That is a relief for me to learn since I was putting myself down for not being able to control them. After most flashbacks, I am left believing I want to die. Now I know that is part of the memory. It comes from the past and is not a true response to present life....though it can really feel like it.

So would that make a response from the primitive part of the brain? I was talking to my therapist about that and how we get "stuck" in the primitive part (that tells us to run, fight, remove hand from hot object, etc.) with PTSD and the intellect part has to logically say it's OK to come out of that, and by releasing trauma, you can do that. Any thoughts on how that might tie in with these new findings?

Cindi, Yes, You are right. It is the primitive part of our brains that detects danger and remembers it. The part of our brains that store traumatic information evolved a long, long time ago to keep us safe. It controls our physical body's responses to perceived danger- a kick of adrenalin, dilated pupils to let in more light, rapid shallow respiration, a withdrawal of blood from our skin surface and from our digestion, increases the clotting factors in our blood---all automatically. In the original dangerous time, all the details surrounding the event are recorded. We may not remember them with our thinking brain. Intellectual reason is 'off line' when the body is in danger. When are only capable of flight, fight, or freeze. The physical changes prepare the body for a fight or flight response. I'm not sure what happens to us freeze people unless it is heightend anxiety.

I'm not sure how to release trauma. Having flashbacks myself. But when they are over you can self talk yourself into safty.

This info eases my mind and allows me some back-up ammo when people give me a tough time.
I would like to see the study though...anybody know anything new about this or where the study was done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back