• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Physical Pain From PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone.

Once again, knowing I'm not alone in this helps me out. Doesn't make the pain stop (LOL) but it does help.

Chronic pain is a good description for this. I don't have a day without it. The intensity varies depending on the stress and anxiety. But it's like the PTSD mental sysmtpoms-it's there every damned day no matter what I do. I have to just push through and ignore it a lot. I do go through a lot of ibuprofen, hot baths and such. I've fried two heating pads so far.

I was honestly expecting the mental part that I deal with but there's not been a whole lot written about the physcial side of PTSD.

Lisa

Hi,
My question was answered. Capasin ( sp?) cream works really well, although you have to apply it with a tissue because OUCH, if you touch anything else with that hand. It IS hot! Tiger balm, also, works well. Also, I take that supplement for joints, MSN. It shouldn't work because it's allegedly for joints but it seems to make a difference, especially with that crappy neck pain.

Thanks again for the head's up about the physical side of PTSD. I'd only just remembered being hospitalised for chest pains which turned out to be PTSD. Funny how one manages to ignore these things.

Anni

OH, that crappy neck pain. I wish just ONCE I could have a day without it. I don't like taking any more drugs than I have to---wish I did not have to take any---but!!!

I get tense without realizing it, and usually it's pain (most comonly a migraine or cluster headache) that let's the rest of my body know that some part is clenched, and has been for some time. It has become so second nature to me that I don't notice it, even in an initial "once over" body scan. I even skip over places like my shoulders or upper thighs because they always seem to be drawn up tightly.

I have thought about it a long time and realized that I am so tense in these areas because I am physically fighting a flight instinct. For some reason, something about my environment is continuously triggering me to run, and I am always fighting it. If you think about it, during a "breakaway" run, like sprinting off or something like that, those upper thighs and your shoulders and to some degree your core muscles clench up and you hold your breath in right before you take off running. These are the areas that are contstantly "on alert" in my body.

I have also noted that I get the "jimmies" because of the energy built up that I am fighting against. My nervous system has automatically decided I need to run from something and relased the necessary hormones to make that happen. However, I'm physically/consciously stopping it. I make a concerted effort not to run, because a more rational part of me knows there isn't a threat. So, this extra energy works it's way out in tremors, leg shaking, tapping, and other tics. (AKA "the jimmies", as I call them) These behaviors are pretty embarrassing because they are very obvious and draw a lot of unwanted attention. I don't physically feel like I'm shaking as much as I am, but people stare at me, sometimes blatantly, and of course, this does nothing to ease the stress.

I have been given breathing exercises to try. The idea is that they will help me realease energy in a calmer manner. I will have to let you know how they work out. Right now, I'm still fighting the flight response and I am exhausted and in pain from stressing my muscles. I have been told it takes practice and consistency to make the breathing a habit, but when it becomes a habit, that tension and pain will cease. Here's hoping!

Liz

Chronic Pain is my life also - unfortunately. Personally I can see alot of effects from PTSD (and my related traumas):

early onset high blood pressure
pelvic floor dysfunction (muscles are too tight)
interstial cystitis (painful bladder syndrome)
neck pain & shoulder pain
back pain

I never had any idea before I was diagnosed that any (or all) of this could be contributed to my PTSD. The mind and the body certainly work together.

Just wanted to let you know - I'm in the same boat as you.

I have physical pain too, and until I was diadnosed with PTSD I never really knew the cause.

- neck and shoulder pain
- headaches
- sore teeth and jaws
- dizziness (I've been dizzy on and off for a week now)
- pelvic pain
- feeling shaky and trembling
- chest pain
- stomach pain and upset
- earaches
- cramped muscles

The list could go on. It can make feel so discouraged sometimes. And sometimes the mental side of it all is easier to deal with than the physical side.

Train Driver

I was thinking we could have a competition to see who has the most physical symptoms:

Symptoms relating to muscles/bones should be worth one point;

Symptoms relating to internal organs should be worth two points;

and symptoms that result in hospitalisation (heart disease; stroke) should score about five points.

Whoever wins could be given the title The Train Driver (cause they 'drive the pain train') and be given a months supply of ibuprofen; or perhaps something a little stronger...

Keen to hear people's thoughts...

WOOOO WOOOO...I hear the train a comin...comin round that bend

I wanna ride that Pain Train!!!! lol. Ghost, your amazing!

Ghost, my C has all your symptoms, including the psoriasis. His is on his elbows and knees. During the winter they crack and bleed. Summers not so much. He also has reflux. Everything on your list is very familiar to me as I see it in him. And pain meds don't seem to do much. He has been on all of them for headaches. He is now trying something else, but not a pain med. He hasn't said what. I think it might be just toughing it out. It worries me.

I have Major Depression, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and a host of minor stress-related illnesses on top of disabling complex PTSD. The pain is felt throughout my body. I have good days and bad days like everyone else, except that my good days aren't that great and the bad days are rotten. So I meditate and listen to soothing music, take time out for quiet time and relaxation, pamper myself every chance I get. I use aromatherapy, reflexology and take hot baths in Epsom salts etc. I just live with it to the best of my ability, hopefully it will get better in time, cause although it's been over 12 years now, I've got to live each day one at a time.

Definately the gift that keeps on giving..Lisa..it is definately a daily battle. With my recent problem with prescription pain meds..it really is not a surprise. I have every analgesic rub ever made, I think. I am dreaming of days when i can afford a hot tub as being in the warm water helps so much. I think i have burned out a few heating pads myself as I sit here with one on my neck! Truly...the gift that keeps on giving! It is hard thing to battle on a daily basis..emotionally I think we are improving but this one is something that makes life more difficult. It shows how strong we really are!

Today..again I had to chase my dog down the street. Shook like I had parkinsons for a good half an hour and tonight my neck hurts, it feels like my teeth are going to fall out and my eyes are going to pop out..Great fun!!! One day at a time is really the only way to manage this.:wall:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back