• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Physiotherapy and ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiver

New Here
Hi!

I was wondering if any of you had some useful advice on how to make physiotherapy more do-able. I go to physiotherapy because of a genetic defect (which causes my joints to do freaky and painful stuff).

It's pretty tough to get through a session
  • I tend to dissociate a lot
  • I don't want to be aware of my body, I actually really hate it (hence, eating disorder)
In physiotherapy I have to be conscious about movements, and eventually my body.

Can anyone help? Some tips to get me through a session? Maybe how to explain it to the physiotherapist (without getting into too much detail)? Are there small adjustments that can make the process easier?

The physiotherapy is not at all meant for my ptsd. I'm not ready to go through the whole processing part (and that's not only me saying that), so confronting myself with stuff is not the way to go (right now).

I would just explain to the physio that you might need to take breaks and that sometimes you tend to have issues with touch.
Ask them to take frequent breaks and check in with you.
Hold something cold.

I would be mindful of the physio's approach to PTSD. I disclosed to mine that I have it, and he made believed my pain complaints were only in my mind vs. legitimate. Only reason physio found out about my diagnosis was because it was fresh after my accident that I started going to physio, and with symptoms plus concussive stuff, it was suspected I had it. I would literally bawl through my appointments with him, sometimes not even getting work done.

I have changed physic's since, and the woman I have now is wonderful. She helps to remind me to take breaths and relax. She is very perceptive to my needs.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies :)

I've already talked to the physio about difficulty with touch. Last time he explained all the exercises without touching me, because I told him beforehand that I was having a hard time that day.

@Stephernovas
I'm sorry to hear that :( It's not okay that someone immediately thinks pain is in your mind, instead of 'real'. I, however did not have that problem, it's clearly visible that my body doesn't work the way it should ;)

I went to one for 3 months. I told him from day 1 I had PTSD and he always told me before hand what he was doing and always asked if I was ok. I only was out of it totally my last visit, but it was the pain I was trying to get away from....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back