• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Pm Announces Domestic Violence Order Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms spock

MyPTSD Pro
Dead Link Removed

PM announces domestic violence order scheme
Posted about 6 hours agoWed 28 Jan 2015, 11:29am

Tony Abbott and Minister assisting the Minister for Women Michaelia Cash announce a plan for a national domestic order scheme.

Ah if only this had been in place in my time. Too late for many of us, but hopefully it will actually amount to something that means intergenerational social change.

And Abbot has the statistics right - 1 in 3 women live through domestic violence in their life time.

Well done Rosie Batty. But it just irks me that Tony Abbot is there as the minister for women and he then has to have an assistant woman minister for women. It really doesn't look good. She should be the minister for women full stop.

But yes, let's hope this makes a difference. I mean the figures are horrific. One woman a week DIES in this country. 40% of all police calls in NSW are domestic violence related. Jesus why did it take Luke Batty to die for anyone to take this seriously I mean 40% of Police call outs. Why weren't the Police screaming this out? Instead Rosie Batty and millions of other women have to suffer an intolerable system that just brings more shame and fear. And violent men's rights over-ride the right to protect the women and children. I would like to see if this changes the attitude in the family law courts because that dinosaur institution needs a serious overhaul. No mention of that in their speech.

In fact what am I saying? Why did it take Luke Batty's death? Why have so many other women and children died and it was ignored? All those women and children's deaths should not have happened. What made the difference is one woman, Rosie Batty who had the guts to stand up in court and tell it how it is that this system sucks it fails millions. One amazing woman. And finally people listen.

Also it could be time @Lizio. There are so many of us that have spoken out in the last 30 years. I used to do conferences and media etc. It could be a critical mass thing.

Considering the huge cuts he has made to DV support centres and cuts to sheltered housing he should be hanging his head in shame about his record for supporting women sufferers of DV. Never mind; think in all likelihood his position as prime minister is soon to be replaced by a woman so at least then we might have a woman minister for women, instead of the patronising image of a man in charge of women's issues. UGH

Yes it is like Christopher Pyne, Minister for Education, saying the National Australian Curriculum should support students with disabilities - but they were the ones that cut the funding for disability services in the schools.

Considering the huge cuts he has made to DV support centres and cuts to sheltered housing he should be hanging his head in shame about his record for supporting women sufferers of DV.
They put out the domestic violence refuge for tender - so whoever can do it cheapest. Stuff 20 years of experiences or 40 years of experience or PhD or running the NSW networks - it is the cheapest ones.

And a lot of the counselling services have been taken over Mission Australia and the Salvation Army and they are pushing their agendas, telling women some very dodgy stuff.

Christopher Pyne gives me the creeps. What authority does he have to speak about public education or disability. All he cares about is his power trip. Easy to pick on the disabled.

I have just about read everything he has said about Education since before the election, when they came to power. Some of it is concerning. He doesn't seem to grasp high order thinking, different teaching pedagogies, that there are different learning styles, that everyone doesn't learn at the same rate and what it is that teachers do in the classroom, which is only one third of their time at the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back