1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Police Vet With 19 Years 4 Months With Ptsd Ia Hearing Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by David342, Jun 19, 2016.

1. David342

David342 Member

Hi everyone,

I am a 19 year police veteran in North Carolina. I was diagnosed with ptsd in May 2016. I have an Internal Affairs hearing tomorrow for neglect of duty and unfit for duty.

Friday and Rain like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. scout86

scout86 I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome to the forum.

What's likely to happen at the hearing tomorrow? (Hoping for the best for you!)

Rain, Chimera, ladee and 1 other person like this.
  4. David342

David342 Member

Thank you....I will sit at the end of a long table with a Major, Captain, and sargeants. I will get cited for termination. I told the police psychologist that i couldn't do police work anymore and i didn't want to come back. I have been on paid leave since may 6th,2016. I spent a week in a mental hospital for suicidal thoughts and they diagnosed me with ptsd

Rain and scout86 like this.
  5. scout86

That was one of those posts where I debate whether I should "like" it or not....

This sounds like it will be a huge change for you, after devoting so much of your life to this career. I hope this goes down in a way that doesn't reflect badly on you. Getting PTSD is no more your fault than having a career ending injury from a physical confrontation is. I hope they understand that. Any idea what you're going to do now?

tiredtexan, Zoogal, Anarchy and 6 others like this.
  6. David342

David342 Member

This will be a huge change since i have done local LE for nearly 20 years. HR told me that it would be best to get cited because i would be eligible for Short Term Disibility. I cant work when getting that. I also put in for Medical Retirement. The police dont give a shit about mental illness....it's the police culture and you never show weakness.

7. scout86

A good friend of mine retired from the military under similar circumstances and it's a similar culture. :( It's too bad, because I think a lot of good people get kicked to the curb when they still have a lot of offer.

Are you in therapy?

Anarchy, Rain, Chimera and 2 others like this.
  8. David342

David342 Member

Very true in regards to similar culture and being kicked to curb. When i left the hospital i was placed in a Partial Hospitalization Program and that ends wednesday.

Rain, ladee and scout86 like this.
  9. David342

David342 Member

My psychiatrist in the program was an army psychiatrist served in Iraq, then worked at Walter Reed and then worked for the VA. He has lots of experience with ptsd.

tiredtexan, Rain, Chimera and 2 others like this.
  10. scout86

I'd like to suggest you find a good therapist who's got some experience with people from your line of work. It can make a huge difference. I wasted a lot of years telling myself I didn't need any help. Really wasted them. Please don't do that.

I hope you find some help and support around the forum. It's been kind of weird, but very helpful, to find that there are actually a lot of people who's version of reality looks a lot like mine. LOL There are a number of members who are former law enforcement.

Just read your last post. I was thinking earlier about recommending a book and a TED talk by Dr. Charles Hoge. He was an Army psychiatrist who served in Iraq etc. Now he's in private practice in Virginia, I think.

Silver., Rain, Chimera and 1 other person like this.
  11. David342

David342 Member

My new therapist and psychiatrist don't specialize in ptsd...seeing them the end of then week. If I lived closer to Fort Bragg and Fort Jackson i could probably get one that does ptsd.

Rain, ladee and scout86 like this.
  12. scout86

My therapist doesn't specialize in it either, but he's worked with a lot of people who have it and has kind of an interest in it. I live in a pretty rural area, so most therapists are generalists. I was probably ridiculously lucky to contact a guy who actually knows what he's doing on the first try.

Rain and ladee like this.
  13. David342

David342 Member

They couldn't even locate a phd or md that did ptsd...let a lone LE ptsd. My father in law has ptsd from vietnam..i can relate with him. I think all police and military can realte one way or another

Rain, Chimera, ladee and 1 other person like this.
Show Sidebar