1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Police Vet With 19 Years 4 Months With Ptsd Ia Hearing Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by David342, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Ka-9

Ka-9 Active Member

Hey man, just read this thread....so glad they recognized your situation, I know friends from american forces who were treated so arbitrarily, it was insane. My story is similar, but I hid the condition for over 5 years.....was a huge mistake.

I miss the hunt to be honest, still have dreams about it. I'm still trying to find my new career, but leaving behind the insanity is an awesome feeling. I personaly cut all ties, moved, the whole bit. I'm sure in time your decision will be proven correct, you can't police forever.

Rain, Justmehere, scout86 and 3 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Justmehere

Justmehere beating the odds Moderator Premium Member

@David342 - Congrats on proving your case!

Anarchy and Rain like this.
  4. David342

David342 Member

Thanks. My wife and i are thinking of moving and getting away from all the reminders/triggers. Police officers that i worked with have texted me but i didnt respond. I needed a clean break from police. I really dont miss it and im more happy retired. Take care.

jade53, Ka-9, Anarchy and 3 others like this.
  5. David342

David342 Member

Thank you.

Rain likes this.
  6. David342

David342 Member

I stopped going on Officer Down Memorial Page...new names are added all the time. I got out at the best time.

The Albatross, Anarchy and Rain like this.
  7. Rain

Rain Most people long for love and acceptance Premium Member Generous $250+

I am very happy for the both of you. Congratulations on winning your case!

Ka-9 and Anarchy like this.
  8. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Military, not police, but...

Different uniforms & protocols helped me, tons.

Other branches of service = easier than my own.
    Other countries' services = easier than than anything stateside. Different uniforms, different protocols, different accents even with the same protocols. Took the sharp edges off of very hard things.

AKA, if you're considering moving? It's worth considering going exPat, along with just leaving your own jurisdiction. Doesn't make life trigger free, can't avoid everything / wouldn't want to in the end, but both local & international moves helped me a lot. The problems that came with me? Were mine.

9. Ka-9

Ka-9 Active Member

I was in the military when I was young, then again while I was in the police, and oddly enough after I couldn't police any more (real policing anyways), I tried to join the local armoured calvary unit out here lol, but needless to say.....my condition was just a slight hinderance.

I think there are many similarities, a few big differences between police and military, but my mind is always drawn back to simply wanting to be the guy in the white hat. No other jobs require you to arm yourself for other's, and be accountable for the results- so they'll always be unique.

It's humbling to pack that away, and consider careers of less "adrenaline fueled substance". I'm training as a farrier.... and this isn't easy, but it gives me something to take some pride in anyways.

Rain, Anarchy, scout86 and 1 other person like this.
  10. scout86

scout86 I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

Great choice for your next career. I'm a farrier too & it's the best job I've ever had. :)

Sighs, Rain, Anarchy and 2 others like this.
  11. Ka-9

Ka-9 Active Member

No kidding? We'll my mind doesn't mind the work, but my back's not so excited. I finished college here, and have been apprenticing with one of the better guys around- so I can't complain.

12. scout86

scout86 I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

At the risk of wandering off topic, I've probably been blessed with a good back, but it comes down to a couple of things like remembering to use your legs, and remembering that no one is stronger than a horse. You have to be smarter. :)

Justmehere, Rain and Anarchy like this.
  13. Ka-9

Ka-9 Active Member

Im a softee... but it works. And I still have my panther like reflexes, so I should survive it. I like the real horse loving clients... not so much the barn witches flying about.

scout86 likes this.
Show Sidebar