• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Possibility Of Selectively Erasing Unwanted Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
For the first time, scientists have been able to erase dangerous drug-associated memories in mice and rats without affecting other more benign memories. The surprising discovery points to a clear and workable method to disrupt unwanted memories while leaving the rest intact.

[DLMURL="http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/mind_brain/ptsd/~3/YPtOLvH3N5s/130910140941.htm"]Continue reading...[/DLMURL]

Interesting that they're still trying to find a way to erase memories... their last so called pharmacological push for Propranolol being the saving grace of PTSD was a massive flop. Next!

I don't know if I'd want to erase my memories. Maybe it's just because there was so much I didn't remember. The horror when the memories returned was horrific, but before that I was distressed almost permanently that I couldn't remember so much of my child/teenhood. I think it's unhealthy to have them removed - it means you can never get over or past them. It also sounds invalidating, now I know my trauma (or part of it), even though I'm haunted by it, it is a part of me, a part of my history, it does define part of me as it was a huge part of my life. Wanting it or not wanting it isn't realistic. It's mine whether I like it or not and what I'd like is for it to be boxed up and stored on a high shelf out of the way - I know it's there, but its not easily accessible.

I thought, I remember hearing that scientists had found a way to create memories, in the mice and rats, they were testing, earlier this year. Or am I just imagining things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back