• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Possible Insurance Payout Through Super If No Longer Able To Work - Tpi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flossy

MyPTSD Pro
I live in Australia. There are many television advertisements made by certain Legal Firms who talk about if you are no longer able to work due to ill health or injury, you may be entitled to a payout from the insurance attached to your Superannuation Fund.

I had to stop work over five years ago and decided to check with the Superannuation fund I had with that employer. I was only in the job at a major private hospital for 8 months.

After contacting the fund I was given all of the information I needed and sent the forms I need to make a claim. These forms are for my employer, my treating GP, any treating therapist or psychiatrist to fill out and I then submit them to the Super fund.

The process can take up to 12 months. The fund representative was able to give me the amount of insurance I was covered for at the time I finished work. (Note: it was not the employment that caused my ptsd, I was just working there at the time I developed the more severe symptoms.) This is not an issue with the claim.

The amount is $27,500 which is a reasonable amount considering the short length of time of employment.

The fund requires the reports to back up a situation of being unable to return to work in the area you are trained for or unable to work at all. Totally and permanently incapacitated.

As I have made many attempts to re enter the workforce in any health related area over the past five years and cannot make it to the interview without a panic attack and cancelling, I may be successful in a claim.
I almost accepted not working and hope to one day be able to do something on a voluntary basis which seems less pressure to perform and cope with people

Not all Super funds have insurance included. I thought this info may be useful to others as the information is not widely shared. It is a relatively simple matter of taking time and gathering all of the information for the claim. It is not really necessary to go through a Law Firm who charge a percentage of the payout if successful and do not charge anything if the claim is not granted. There is also the ability to appeal a declined claim.

This may help some to be able to afford more treatment choices or help with bills, medications or just the costs involved in life. I hope someone finds it helpful.

I will come back on and give a update on the outcome.

The fund requires the reports to back up a situation of being unable to return to work in the area you are trained for or unable to work at all. Totally and permanently incapacitated.
Is the amount dependant on which of these categories you fall into? I'm not in Australia, just curious really. When I was granted ill-health retirement form the NHS in the UK, the amount was based on a 2 tier system, depending on whether you were just unfit for your current job, or unfit to ever work again. I realise it's a different system - just curious, that's all.

By the way, what is 'Tpi' ?

The amount is dependent on both how long the person was working for the company who provided the Super + Insurance, plus whether the person is declared TPI (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated). I will not get a payout if my doctors say I could work, but they won't do that due to the severity of my symptoms and the amount of support they have had to provide me. The insurance may insist on the person seeing a psychiatrist of their choice at their expense if they do not accept the responses of my doctor and therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back