• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Possibly Ptsd In Grad School

Status
Not open for further replies.

physLee

New Here
Hello everyone , I'm new and wanted some help with my experiences. I experience a traumatic event about 4 months ago, just a little while after I finished my undergraduate degree. The rest of the summer, I had a real loss of motivation and did almost nothing for the rest of the summer until I had to attend graduate school. Back then I thought I would be ok, but since then have been having symptoms of what seems to be PTSD.

Fast forward to now, I have been struggling massively with graduate school, I am more then certain I will fail my classes and have been having a hard time concentrating on school work , this is not at all how I envisioned my graduate school experience and I have been having major motivational problems. I haven't gone to be diagnosed yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow.

My question, how can I really know if my potential PTSD is affecting my school work ? I am scared that I may be using PTSD as a scape goat for my poor academic performance and I'm trying to be honest with myself but I don't know how graduate school would have turned out if all of this had never happened to me?

Thoughts ?

I'm sorry if it sounds slightly incomprehensible, I only started looking up the symptoms of PTSD 3-4 hours ago and thought it all fit very well for the conditions I have been under.

Regardless of the actual diagnosis, a traumatic event can cause such symptoms that you're experiencing that may make grad school difficult.

My symptoms became severe while in grad school and I had to leave school early. Unfortunately I won't be able to ever earn the degree I set out to earn initially.

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow.

I thought PTSD couldn't be diagnosed before 6 months and acute stress disorder or PTS (without the D) follow the same symptoms but are more curable in the long term. Not meaning to upset you or anything just a suggestion and query to other members on my part.

Did you have issues with inability to focus before the trauma? Has the content of the classes become boring to you at the grad level?

Have you sought out professional help to cope with the symptoms? A therapist may be able to help sort things out and identify if you do have PTSD or if it's something more short term and manageable.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your advice, It seems I have the option to take a leave of medical absence. I do think the trauma is a contributing factor, but I really have to sit down with myself and really think on how much of this was my fault and inability as a student vs. mental factors that needed to be taken care of. Not sure about the 6 month thing, I was told by the psychologist that we would need to have more sessions to see if it is actually 'PTSD' or I suppose a long term thing. I'm feeling much better now that I know I have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back