1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Post Move Depression?

Discussion in 'Social' started by Grama-Herc, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Seems that today I have been hit squarely between the eyes with a nice case of depression. I take meds for this and AM taking them as prescribed. But today I seem to be depressed. I recently moved and I am finally beginning to see the floor as the boxes get emptied and thrown out.

Things are starting to return to normal--what ever that is!
    So why all of a sudden do I feel so down and sad and blue and lost and very numb? That one is the scary one. The numb part. Not use to that one. This has me somewhat scared, hell it has me really frightened!

Been packing and moving, etc. since the middle of April and now it is done, almost. Is this just the final--AUGH!!!! Am I just simply able to relax and let the stress go? Input people! Input PLEASE:dontknow:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm,

You have been busy for 5 months, you have packed, moved, relocated, unpacked, and now are box free.

1) You have been to damn busy to notice the depression.
    2) being busy has kept the depression away.
    3) you have participated in life, by doing something proactive.
    4) you are depressed because you feel that there is nothing more for you to do.

Sometimes even positive things can cause reverse feelings. Sit down and figure out what's really eating at you, and work from there.

PS....Are you happy with the situation that you have moved into???

Wen

nie likes this.
  4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Herc,

This has been the center of your world for months now. You've fussed, fretted, and have been worried about the move, the combining of two households and what it would mean in your life.

Maybe now that the busyness is over, the real dealing has begun. You've moved (stressful), you've moved in with your mother (stressful), you did about 99% of the work and worry with everything involved with this yourself (stressful), during all of this you had to put your cat to sleep (stressful). Plus other things we've talked about off of the forum.

Honey...you've been carrying a big ol' load for quite a while now! We both know when the stress comes off, the symptoms tend to come out. Doing a lot of work keeps us too busy to deal with stress. Guess what? You're not busy anymore. Your body and mind are telling you it's time to deal with what you've put off.

Take some quiet time, be gentle to yourself, pamper yourself. You've put in quite a fight to get you and your mom into one house. Just reading about you stripping and painting dressers made me tired. And I was only reading about it! Sorry to quote the big McD...but you deserve a break.

Lisa

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Your life has been smothered with moving, and you have engulfed yourself smack bang within it. When we do that, a more familiar name is workaholism. That covers both short and long term work efforts, ie. someone lives for nothing other than work, or when you start something it consumes you until you finish it. Workaholism... a way in which we can forget about lifes issues, our own feelings, and concentrate on something less important than ourselves. Always comes back to bite you on the arse unfortunately... near guaranteed with PTSD in toe.

Take a rest IMHO, have a break, get out of the house and meet people, do something that makes you exercise, even if only a little.

6. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

I can find no words to express my thanks for the right on responses from you 3 guys. This one has brought tears to my eyes. It has allowed me to sit back and cry. It has allowed me to mourn the loss of my kitty. I plan on doing nothing but pampering myself and allowing the tears to flow (which is the best emotional release) as soon as I get done with all of my Mom's appointments today(Thursday). I need a small breakdown, I've earned a small breakdown and quite frankly, I'm looking forward to a small breakdown. Can I spend my breakdown in bed, or do I have to stay somewhat together?

I know that I had decided to start sheltering kittens again, but it has become extremely apparent to me that Mom is going to use up that available time. I must admit that I forgot just how much work was really involved with the kittens. This has made me a little sad too, cuz I do enjoy sheltering, but, alas, I just can't do it anymore.

I just seem to sit and stare at this screen sometimes. No thoughts, no ideas, no desires or interests. Guess I AM depressed. OK, well, this to shall pass. I know what it is and how to handle it so wish me luck, stay in touch and I will keep you posted

Most of all THANX guys. I do need you and when I do you are there

7. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Hey She Cat!

To answer the question of am I happy with the situation I moved into--I am very happy and please with it. I had no idea what a comfort it would be to me. Actually it is a stress relief to have my mom with me, rather than a burden. I don't worry about her anymore. To be selfish about it, I feel safer and more secure too. So YES this was the best thing to happen to me--to us--ever.

8. She Cat

Hey Herc,

I am very happy that having your mom close to you, causes you less stress.......Whatever we can do to get rid of stress in my book is A OK!!!!!!!!

Now go have a MINI breakdown....Then it's back to work at chipping away at the beast of PTSD!!!!!!

Wen

9. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

She Cat. Never heard our PTSD referred to as a beast. Sounds like a good description to me. I wonder what this beast looks like. I would prefer a pleasant appearance since the disease is so ugly. RIGHT! Anyway, the MINI breakdwon never happened. Shed a tear or 2 while tellin g my Mom to expect the brekdown but then nothing happened. Rather dissappointing I feel. Oh well, it will sneak up on me when I least expect it as usual. One thing you can say about having PTSD in your life is things are never dull.

10. She Cat

Hey Herc,

I would think that no meltdown is a good sign......That you are handling things better maybe......

Weird that you have never heard of PTSD being called the beast.......I usually refer to it as such, others I know do too. hhhhhhmmmmmm It looks like a gargoyle, with horns, and it breathes fire......Spiny tail with sharp point at the end of it, similar to an arrow....Get the picture??? Not nice!!!!!!

I hope things are still going ok with you...

Wen

11. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Herc, I hope all is well and you are taking extra special care of you!!!!!

12. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

I thank you guys for your concern, truely! I have put my finger on the cause of my shity mood and depression. Prior to moving my Mom in with me, I guess I saw her as the vital, healthy and mentally alert woman I knew. I now see her as she truely is. As much as I love her this has been a wake up call--she is 83 years old!! It has scared me and depressed me. My "Mom" is my rock and she IS NOT suppose to crumble. She is my "Mom". She is the one who is suppose to see that I am OK. This has been a shock to me and my system and I've been thrown into a tail spin for sure. This is the 1st step, right? Recognizing the problem! Now I can deal with it, I think. Man this is hard. I mean really hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. She Cat

Herc,

What I think a lot of us come to realize later on in life.....Is that things change, and it's hard to accept. You're right,,,,,,,, We believe that our parents will always be there for us, strong, and ever loving rocks that they have always been.... Then we wake up one day, and suddenly they are older, frailer, weaker, and vulnerable. The roles have changed and we become the parent, they the child, we take care of them, and they become child like in many aspects.....

Yes, it's a wake up call, one that sometimes is very hard to swallow. One that all of us must face in our life time......

You recognize your problem, and now is the hard part. You have to find a way to deal with not only your mom and her aging, but your own demons that haunt you too.... You will need support, and time for you too.....Vent, vent , vent....

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar