1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Post Your Own Poll

Discussion in 'Polls' started by anthony, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

If you have an issue that you think needs to go to a poll, or you would like to see percentages on any general other topic already mentioned on the board, then please feel free to post a poll here.

A poll is a normal thread, though when you continue below this part where you put the text, you have poll options, and this is where the magic happens. Read the prompts, fill in your question and responses, then post it for feedback.

I think polls are a great way to gain continuous feedback, even when people don't want to post, because it allows them to just tick an answer, and continue on. If they want to provide feedback as well, then they can by replying to your original thread with the poll attached.

Just letting you know, this isn't just for me, its for everyone to create polls.

I want to add what I see as a disturbing trend among people, in that they answer a poll based on their own judgement when asked a question if they have something, yet I read answers which correspond to the opposite poll selection. For example, the poll on ADHD, Just Tina answered YES saying she has it, yet actually outlines that she thinks she has it. You have either been diagnosed or you haven't, there is no inbetween with illness.

This is the exact thing I notice the forum moving towards lately, where people are just making shit up in their head and believing they have everything thrown at them. Absolute garbage.... people need to get out of the self sympathy pot and actually take control of their lives. You either have something or you don't, but you certainly DO NOT self assess and make shit up in your head to answer something.

This was only an example, and not an attack too Just Tina, but other members are doing the same thing. Absolute garbage it is.... Stop making shit up in your heads and think for yourself whether you have something and have been diagnosed with it vs. you want to have it or are telling yourself you have it.

Polls are to obtain accurate statistics, not self diagnosis unless that question is asked directly.

Here is a video on how to post a poll, also contained in the help desk video forum.

If you wish to comment or ask questions about this video, then you need to ask them on this video posted within the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/how-to-post-a-poll.14348"]help desk video forum[/DLMURL].

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    gamereign555, permban0097 and Meli like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Things to think about?
    • Before creating a poll, you need to really think about the exact question you want to ask, work out if that is the best way to ask what you want to discover, modify it and see how you can best rewrite it before actioning it here.
    • Think hard about your poll answers.
      • Simple yes or no is the easiest.
      • Don't write questions as your answers.
      • Does your response require a counter alternative? Yes, no, maybe?
      • Don't ask complicated questions that could have hundreds of answers, then only post 10 choices. That is a discussion, not a poll. Or post the most likely, and include the counter alternative, "Other" as the last option.
      • Keep answers short, sharp and direct.
      • Don't use multiple choice answers unless the question really has several choices.
      • Don't make votes public when you are asking personal questions, otherwise people won't vote because they can be identified. (Anonymity works best)
      • Don't put time limits on polls unless your trying to capture something that has a due by date.
    • Write your polls and answers out prior to posting them here, checking them to see whether they read and answer correctly.
    • Can everyone participate? If not, then you missed the counter alternative answer.