• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Type 2 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
The presence of posttraumatic stress disorder is significantly associated with the development of type 2 diabetes.

[DLMURL="http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/mind_brain/ptsd/~3/TkTtGVlOFkw/130516063839.htm"]Continue reading...[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good to hear of researchers building correlations between PTSD and physical illness; it seems logical to me, that the hormonal shifts in PTSD would effect the rest of the body. With knowledge like this, we see how important it is to treat PTSD early.

This is an interesting article, but in the limited space they simply don't go into the detail that I'd like to see. For example many psychiatric medications have diabetes as a potential side effect. Was this considered when they did the study? Also how much family history was studied.

I find it of particular interest because I come from a family of type 2 diabetes - with all grandparents having developed it, and also a paternal uncle at a younger age ( but still type 2). I have had glucose tolerance tests in the past, and been studied as part of a research project as I am 'high risk', because I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).

Now I am on Quetiapine, and it has alteration of blood sugar levels, and development of diabetes, listed as side effects.

So, if I do go on to develop diabetes, how can you tell which of my risk factors caused it?!

@Lucycat , like your family history, diabetes run through my maternal side of the family, having killed two uncles and my grandfather (Type II), with my mom and I, both having it. As for your question about pyschiatric drugs, the answer is, they are based upon different types of sugar compounds, like Abilify, is built upon lactose (the sugar found in milk). I don't think the science has advanced that far, Lucycat, to tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back