• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Pregnant Women With Ptsd More Likely To Give Birth Prematurely, Study Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Pregnant women with post-traumatic stress disorder are at increased risk of giving birth prematurely, a new study has found. The study, which examined more than 16,000 births to female veterans, is the largest ever to evaluate connections between PTSD and preterm birth.

[DLMURL="http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/mind_brain/ptsd/~3/U3iYbgDOjE8/141106173639.htm"]Continue reading...[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was pregnant I searched for information about the impact of PTSD and it's treatment on pregnancy. My body was processing a lot of pain and stress and it seems unlikely it wouldn't have some effect on my baby.

My daughter was born 10 weeks early for no apparent reason, weighing 3lbs. I've always wondered if my flashbacks and other stress reactions contributed to her preterm birth.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this study, but I think it's something worth looking in to. I hope more research is done on this topic.

Having a premature baby can add trauma to both mother and baby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back