1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prestique

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by Manic11, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Manic11

Manic11 Mystery Member

So my doctor just gave me a prescription for Prestique. He thinks it will help a lot with my general anxiety. I am still on Xanax to help me sleep and help with the panic attacks though.
    I'm reading up on Prestique and I don't know what to think. For some people, it made them feel much worse. For others, it gave them their life back.
    It also said that it has caused weight loss in most people.

Does anyone have any experience with Prestique whether you have taken it yourself or know anyone who has taken it?

Thanks,
    Manic
  2. catjudo

catjudo VIP Member Premium Member

Effexor XR, unfortunately, is the AD that is most effective for me. A real bitch to discontinue when I don't want to be on an AD but the one that works the best for me. Pristiq is a newer version of Effexor XR, manufactured because the patent on Effexor XR was running out and can now be manufactured generically. It does work slightly differently, but at the moment I'm not in the right frame of mind to be able to remember specifically how or in what way. I did try Pristiq at one time and it did absolutely nothing for me. My psychiatrist said that it was really odd because he's had other patients with the same experience. Patients who have had good experiences with Effexor XR but not with Pristiq, but some patients who have done really well on Pristiq. Other than that don't really have much to offer. Sorry if this sounds kind of scattered or doesn't make much sense.
  3. ayuria

ayuria New Member

I am on 100mg of prestique and have been on it for a while. I have found it the most useful of the antidepressants that I've been on. I am also on two anti psychotics at the moment, though Im not sure of either of them. Ultimately prestique has been good for me. I did accidentally start taking 200mg for a while and then stopped for 5 days and THAT totally messed with me, so I dont advise that...but it has been good.
  4. Manic11

Manic11 Mystery Member

Thanks for your opinion... I'm nervous to start it because it seems like its still in the testing phase and it has had many different reactions for different people.
    Although any medication can do different things for different people but I just don't know what to expect, especially because there's not much on the internet about Prestique.

Ayuria...Did you experience any weight loss or weight gain? Any appetite change? Did it make you more or less tired?

Thanks.

Manic
  5. MizzASG

MizzASG New Member

Before I have tried 50mg of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), I was on 150mg of Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for about 6 months. My doc wanted to switch me to Pristiq because apparently it has less side effects because its the exact metabolite broken down from Effexor (so your liver doesnt get hit as hard, that was a huge point for me). My experience was a disaster trying to switch to Pristiq 50 mg. I was having major withdrawls from the Effexor and became very suicidal and unstable. I immediately went back onto Effexor XR and I was fine again.
    If you have never taken an AD before, and this is your first try, I say give 'er. It should help with your anxiety, however at first it might make it worse in the first week or so.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Manic11 and (deleted user) like this.
  6. Manic11

Manic11 Mystery Member

I have been taking Prestique for two weeks today and a couple of days ago I began to notice minor symptoms such as appetite suppression, fatigue, etc. No severe side effects and no positive or negative effects anxiety wise.

Manic