• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Processing Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

KwanYingirl

MyPTSD Pro
What does that mean exactly? I read and read numerous posts that reference processing trauma. But to be honest, I have no idea what that means or entails. Does one need to be with a therapist to do it? How do you know that you have, actually, processed a trauma?

That's a hard question. I think, for me, it means that I've accessed the emotion of a memory and made some realizations and had a perspective shift. That seems to take many times of having the memory come up/open up for me.
It seems like when the emotion can be expressed it lets go of me a little bit. I can talk about it more. Something shifts in my brain. It unfreezes some.

The EMDR is changing things now. Getting deeper down faster. Maybe bringing the shifts in a different way - not so much emotional release, more physical or nervous system release is what it feels like.

Yes, and I agree with the not being triggered by things - maybe that's a sign that the trauma has been processed.

My take on it is this:
I've accessed the emotion of a memory and made some realizations and had a perspective shift.
I know for me when I stuff things they may be hidden and I may not come across them often, but they are still big, bad, scary things that feel like they can still hurt me. Discussing them, analyzing them, looking at them from the vantage point of the present takes a lot of that scariness away.

My therapist told me that you can reach a point where the memory, talking about it, and things that remind you of it cease to trigger what she calls a maladaptive response and that you can be like a person who never experienced those things. I told her I doubt that ever completely happens. She assured me that it has for her personally so, who knows.

I don't know if you can do it on your own. It seems to me that the right person probably could. Who the right person is or what they're like, I don't know that, either.

That is indeed a very interesting question. When do we really process trauma and can we really say that such trauma once processed will go away, just disappear into thin air?

To me trauma would only really be processed if one does not get triggered by the memories that caused the trauma in the first place. But if someone has PTSD, those triggers are there for the rest of their life. I still remember exact details of criminal acts that caused my trauma. In my opinion a person with PTSD may cope with trauma, but even processing such trauma will not get rid of PTSD.
I think it would be a false hope to think that this condition is simply solved by processing trauma.
I can say that by now I have mostly gotten used to the trauma that was caused in my childhood, but is that the same thing than processing it?

Anyone?

Being with the right therapist can help but it doesn't have to be the case. Processing trauma is being able to talk to it through and come to realizations and new found peace about the trauma that you hadn't felt before. A lot of times when a trauma is really processed you get uncontrollable shivers through your body form the frozen trauma coming out. I have experienced this, read about it, and been informed that was what was happening by my T. That particular trauma never effected me the same again.

To me trauma would only really be processed if one does not get triggered by the memories that caused the trauma in the first place.

Bingo.

I've processed my sexual abuse. Memories don't trigger me. I've processed my physical abuse. Memories don't trigger me. I'm working on the emotional abuse. The memories are becoming less triggering.

But if someone has PTSD, those triggers are there for the rest of their life.

I disagree. The triggers can indeed be diffused to the point where they no longer bother you. Many of my triggers have been diffused. Some aren't worth the time to diffuse. Others may never be fully diffused because of their nature. Only time will tell.

but even processing such trauma will not get rid of PTSD.

I don't believe processing trauma is the KEY per se to getting rid of PTSD. Yes, it is a critical part of the process, but if we don't learn how to do self-care or learn how to use coping skills or learn how to ground ourselves, then I don't think we are fully healed, either.

I think it would be a false hope to think that this condition is simply solved by processing trauma.

I agree. This condition is very much a physical condition. I can temper my reactions to external stimuli, but once my body is flooded with adrenaline or anxiety is shooting through my veins, its no longer mental. At that point I need to calm my body down, not just my mind.

I can say that by now I have mostly gotten used to the trauma that was caused in my childhood, but is that the same thing than processing it?

No, that isn't processing, not in the least. What you describe is more of a "time heals all wounds" sort of thing. Well, not exactly, but along that mindset in that you're used to it so some of the sting is gone. Processing enables your mind to let go of the past and allows you to move forward so that your mind isn't constantly being hijacked by past memories. Unfortunately processing doesn't fix it all, but it is a very big part of the process.

@Solara. That mind-body piece is really the key for me as I have a lot of body memories. They're hard to put into words, which I think by reading these posts, is at the core of processing. It's bringing the trauma to the conscious mind. As difficult as that is, yet holding it up to the light with a trusted therapist, and reframing it so it lets go of my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back