• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Propranolol To The Rescue And I Just Saw A Pig Fly Out My Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the whole thing stinks.. and stinks bad!

I.... hell.. I just don't have words for my level of disgust over this...

bec

If you ask me, the whole thing smells of human experimentation without all that tedious mucking about with paperwork.

"Human resources." This is not good news at all.

I was doing a quick search and I found this thread. Anyway, I was in this trial of propranolol, and just ended it (early) because it wasn't working. (I had hoped that I was on the placebo, but I found out that I was on the actual drug.) Anyway, even though it didn't work for me, I would want people to know that the doctor, Dr. Roger Pitman, (who, by the way, I have an appt. with tomorrow), is really good and is just doing his best to find VARIOUS treatments for PTSD, as not everything works for everyone. He made sure I knew that even if the propranolol worked, it was NO miracle drug; I would never "forget" about the trauma, but perhaps some of the PTSD symptoms might ease up. I gave 100% INFORMED consent before the treatment, and I was made aware MANY TIMES about possible side effects before I started the trial. (I had no physical side effects.) I, too saw that 60 minutes (or whatever it was), and I'm sure you know how the media likes to put its own spin on things. Anyway, it was Dr. Pitman who decided to take me off of the drug and end the trial since (in my case) it seemed to be doing more harm than good; he is MUCH more interested in helping the individual than earning "fame" from some new drug. (I think part of the problem why it didn't work in my case is that this was the first time I had ever confronted the details of my trauma to anyone other than a police detective, and it was all a bit too much.) Currently, Dr. Pitman is seeing me (free of charge) until he can find someone who will be a good match for me and a treatment that will help for where I am currently at. If anyone is living in the Boston area, he is still looking for people to enter the trial. If anyone wants more info., feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share.

nic

Nic, great information from experience. Thank you. I think the point of this topic though was what you confirmed... in that whilst physicians are trialling something, it was made out and spread across the globe as the wonder drug. Even though we know it is not true, and as a beta blocker it doesn't just get rid of your trauma, the military are now giving it to troops after combat. Why? Because it suppresses the trauma long enough so the military won't have to admit liability for the PTSD any longer. If they lower the numbers the public gets off their back. It the numbers increase years down the track, who cares... the military have an excuse that x,y and z happened in their life between leaving the military and then.

I am disappointed in many within who even attempted to bring such a thing to light and made statements about the drug until they have thoroughly tested it for PTSD and its effect on trauma. The drug was used on other disorders, schizophrenia being one of them.... someone just decided to try and market another "cure" for PTSD to the public nonsense....

I've been taking 5 mg of Propranolol a day for 6 months (with physician oversight)- primarily to treat chronic migraines, but also as off-label for PTSD hyper-adrenaline issues. I tried to taper down to 2.5 mgs, but I got crazy irritable. I know there are other threads about this, but I came across this same video today in my research regarding Propranolol discontinuation. Being on Propranolol (with many other non-pharmacological treatments & strategies concurrently) has benefited me in a reduction of anxiety & hyper-arousal, but it hasn't been used in the targeted "memory reducing" regimen discussed in these trials. Starting Propranolol enabled me to completely get rid of an anti-anxiety medication that was potentially addictive and definitely interfered with current memory formation.

However, my physician sees it as basically a side-effect free drug. When I was taking 20 mg a day (original Dr. prescribed dosage) and crying through the second half of the day the doctor said, "Oh yeah, that can happen to some people." When I didn't have the slightest thought about a libido for a month, another health care provider said, "Yeah- that happens a lot with beta blockers". My counselor has been encouraging me to find a health care provider who specializes in psychiatric medicine. Reading the responses to this post further affirms that a high level of experience, education, and care should accompany the prescription of this medication for PTSD symptoms. But many people take this every day for high blood pressure...

I have horrible family genetics and have dealt with high blood pressure since I was a teenager. I took propranolol over 15 years ago for hypertension. When I first went to my family physician admitting I was struggling with depression symptoms, one of the first things he did was take me off the propranolol and switch me to a different medication for hypertension. He said it was widely known that propranolol can cause depression and it may or may not be the cause of my problem but certainly couldn't be helping it. Many years later I know that the propranolol wasn't CAUSING my depression, but like my doc said it was known even then to be contraindicated in patients with depression. It always amazes me when I see people now using it for mental health issues. Just doesn't make sense to me.

As more and more people switch to generics and the demand decreases for name brand drugs, I imagine it can be a major incentive to find more "new" uses for the tried and true, work horse, profit makers that have been around for a while. Perhaps volume sales on generics make up for losses on name brands? Just pondering. Pharmaceuticals are big business world wide.

Gina

As a registered nurse and someone who has experienced first hand the side effects of propanalol, I can tell you it should not be prescribed without great care. Before administration in the hospital we as nurses must account for the patients' pulse and BP. This is due to the likelihood that it will slow down the heart rate and lower the blood pressure, if either is low(and yes there are parameters for this), we do not give it to the patient. The first time I took propanolol I passed out within an hour and didnt wake up until 4am. I went to my doctor who hooked me up to an EKG and noticed abnormal heart rhythms and told me never to take it again. I believe it is a very useful medication for those with high blood pressure but should not be used flippantly nor off label.

Anthony
I read your post and do agree with your view on the bullshit doctors push. (I experienced a whole lot more trying to keep my son alive) and dont get me started on charities who 'fundraise' to find cures.

Do you believe it is possible to come of meds eventually? This is a wonderful yet terrifying thought.

Meds are a healing tool. There is no point on the planet in not putting some kind of a cap on adrenaline at a certain point, since there is just zero functioning with all that rocketing about the system. Once some sort of healing is implemented and you can get the heck out of your own way and stop having the reactions which cause the adrenaline reaction to such an extent, then the meds are more in the way than the adrenaline. It's balance and not always easy to find or maintain. Adrenaline in't a fever which the body uses to burn something harmful out of the system-it's a fight or flight respnse and when there's no fight or flight needed it's intrusive and useless.

Guilts and judgements tend to come hand in hand with meds. The purists insist that flying sans parachute is the way to go. It's an individual take and a choice. I've seen others resort to Lorazapam in some moments of extreme, off-the-wall stress and get rather accused of depending too much on chemicals.That doesn't seem incredibly helpful, realistic or supportive, especially in the event that person may certainly have been employing a tool, not abusing a chemical, and not at all justifying an addiction. It's a balance, and a set of tools, properly used and stripped of various sociological overlays and judgements.I've been on and off the things for over 20 years. At the moment am wary enough, and expereince enough with my personal system that I know I need to be on, and exactly what dose, too.Enough to beat the adrenaline spikes which disallow both healing and sleep, is what works for me. Once I've bludgeoned things into order again I'll get the heck off of them. Again. There's no chance I'll even try some new brew offered up by the drug companies so that's just a matter of ignoring the money hounds once one finds what works.

Some people heal through their stages and manage things beautifully enough to not require tools forever, I know.I'm not one of them, but stopped having anxiety about that awhile back, partly through the excellent, balanced, factual information one can access while tooling around the forum.I know I really do have t get out of my own adrenaline-fueled way to be able to function well enough to get anywhere positive. My seratonin levels have to cooperate for that to happen. With all the determination in the world, I can't do that through sheer force of will. If one wishes not to use any med at all, that is also an admirable choice because it is personal. Our own choice is all we have as humans. I'm sorry to have added this, but wasn't quite sure a cut and dried take on meds is the correct approach across the board, given the wildly different chemistries, experiences and healing paths of so many people. I think it's immensely helpful to have Anthony's plthora of solid facts and definitions, since facts give one some basis on which to further explore their own choices.

Thank you Anni. There is a lot of guilt associated with meds. Your wise words reinforce my need to trust my own deeply buried sensible judgement and not 'react'. Communication is such a widely woven form that is never simple, is it. It is wonderful to have the solid facts and definitions here and it is also a life learning thing to remind myself to apply it to my personal experience and not be tempted to react to Fear and judge myself. I have learned more in the past three weeks than in three years of trying to get help from "professionals", though I am sure they did help me on the path. It all lead to here.

I hope your day brings you something nice for you.

ex propanalol user here. I was on it for 8 mos. and started complaining about loss of energy and stamina to get through a day. I was told to drink coffee.

Heres a better idea, why not just drop the propanalol? I will admit, it was a nice break from the hypervigilance and background anger and frustration levels, but to replace these non life threatening symptoms with a possibly deadly side effect was pure foolishness. I woke up one evening when my right side tires started running in the gravel on the side of the road on my way home from a 12 hour day. No more pro-P for me, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back