• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Prozac Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkingman85

MyPTSD Pro
I have been on Prozac for about five weeks. Every time I take it, my mood elevates. I may get back to a state of normality again if I stay on this path.

There are two concerns that I have. First, it is that I may have to stay on Prozac for a long time, maybe indefinitely. If I have to I have to. What I don't like is the sexual side effect I'm experiencing. I feel like I have a lack of sex drive. It takes longer to have an orgasm. Is there anyone on this forum that remained on Prozac and the sexual side effects dissipated?

It would suck if I was a semi-limp happy guy.

I have a year's supply of generic Prozac I took across the border with me the last time I was in Mexico - I declared it as you legally have to and was let through with it. I have not started taking it though - I really need to see someone to discuss this but I don't have insurance so any kind of doctors getting involved is going to require a trip to Mexico - much cheaper out of pocket once you cross that border - lucky for me I am only 3.5 hours away from that border.

As to the sexual side effects, I am so messed up these days that sex would be the least of my concerns. For me personally, I would be glad just to get to a stable level and plateau there. I have however heard that there are sexual side effects, though. Squireparty

What I don't like is the sexual side effect I'm experiencing. I feel like I have a lack of sex drive. It takes longer to have an orgasm. Is there anyone on this forum that remained on Prozac and the sexual side effects dissipated?

I had the problem of the drive being increased but I could not climax and that's just crazy cause my boyfriend is AMAZING for real. I talked to my doctor and we decreased my dose by 5 mg - went from 10 mg per day to 5 mg per day and that did the trick! It is the perfect dose for me. My mood is more stable and I am much happier, but I can still feel when I am sad and have my big Os. I actually think they are more intense now because my body has the right amount of serotonin. Before it clearly did not.

The other thing I read that some people do (under doctor supervision) is to take 'weekend breaks' or 'week breaks' from the prozac so they can have normal sex, but honestly, I personally think that's a terrible idea (at least for me). I tried to reduce my prozac from 5 mg a day to 5 mg every other day and I felt like I was on a f&*king roller coaster for 3 weeks and it took me a week and a half to get back to where I was before I reduced. Plus, now I have a new kind of panic that has forced me to take Xanax more frequently I didn't have that before I tried to go to the every other day dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back