1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Psych Wants Me On Remeron. What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by becvan, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Seen the psych today. It didn't go well, but when does it? She wants me on remeron. Thinks it will help me with sleep, anxiety and depression. Told me I need to trust her and that her hands are tied with me.

I don't trust her and I haven't filled the prescription.

What do you guys think?

bec

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Bec, do you know much about Remeron? Have you read about its side effects and so on? It is approved for use in medium to severely depressed patients, and also useful for anxiety, appetite problems and insomnia. It is usually used as an "add-on" along with other anti-depressants, are you on other meds as well? The possible problem I foresee for you particularly is that common side effects can include visual hallucinations (if the medication is taken in the daytime) and vivid nightmares. I see those side effects as possibly being difficult for you as you already have PTSD. However, you may not have those effects either. It's difficult to say unless you try the drug.

As you know, I am not a big fan of medication generally, however, it is good for many. Why do you not want to try it? Do you not feel you do not need it? Is it mistrust of the doctor solely? Are you worried about side effects? If you do try it and do not find it helpful for whatever reason, there is nothing saying you have to continue taking it. Perhaps you are simply too stressed at the moment to add another uncertainty to your life? Perhaps wait a week or so until things with Matt are settled and then give it a try if you like? I honestly don't know the answer, simply throwing out different suggestions to you. Take good care.

4. lrs

lrs Well-Known Member

In addition, there is another well documented side effect, weight gain. I'm not trying to play dr or anything. I"m sure your dr has already mentioned this to you. Good luck in whatever you decide.

5. kers

kers I'm a VIP

What did she mean, her hands were tied?

Is it possible for you to write up a list of concerns for her to address with you? If you could really be listened to and heard on this, you might feel more comfortable trying a new med.

6. becvan

I'll try to answer what I can. I'm not in good shape and can barely verbalize at this point.

I wasn't told a thing about any side effects. I'm not on any type of medication.

I can't talk to the psych about anything. I go in pissed off, I leave pissed off. I really don't freaking like her. She questions everything and disbelieves everything. I feel like I'm some sort of criminal.

I don't want to try it because I only want some god forsaken sleep. That's it. I want to sleep. I only want meds for sleep and she refuses to give me any. She wants to treat the "anxiety" and then I won't have sleep problems. Well the last year and a half of meds for just that reason proves that doesn't work. Last thing I need is another ****ing drug that doesn't help me sleep and just causes me more issues. I had no idea this stuff causes hallucinations. Great. I already have vivid nightmares and don't need help in that department either!

The psych says her hands are tied with me because she refuses to put me on sleep meds, I can't take SSRI's because of my seizures (which she thinks I'm making up btw) and have reacted to all the other meds. She treats me like it's my fault.

This doctor could care less about hearing me out. Frankly, I want to quit the psych. They refuse to put me in therapy for trauma, telling me they don't do that there. I feel that all of it is ****ing useless.

I don't want to go back anymore. I can't stand her.

I wanted to add that I have already been threatened about being "non-compliant" for refusing to take meds and basically they will not deal with me further unless I take this no matter what it does to me. I'm not being given the right to work out side effects or even my discomfort with the medications.

bec

7. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Bec that really sucks the way they are treating you, I guess I just lucked out I found my own psychologist that specializes in Trauma, and she is great I trust her a fair bit and I don't trust anyone, but she is expensive and thats one of the reasons that if I take the break from work she would like me too I would have to pay it all out of pocket and that I cant afford.

As for my Psych doc I have a family doc that has a big interest in PTSD and so she Rx. and calls the Psych doc to see if he agrees I have only seen him once now I have to go again next week for a drug eval. I am really praying he brings down some of the doses I feel like a junkie.

Anyways I wish you could find someone who you can trust somewhat, I think I would be considered non compliant , many times over.

Good luck Bec you'll make it its just tough.

Amber

8. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Ah, hell, what a bind you're in. I gather there's no option to switch psychiatrists to try to find one that doesn't try to strongarm you into a med? I have no advice, I'm afraid, except that it's not appropriate to try to force you into trying a med when you have clearly thought-out reasons for being resistant. That simply doesn't work.

9. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Well Bec, my short answer is, if you simply want sleep, Remeron is not the drug for you. You should be trying several other sleep aids first. Remeron would be an absolute last resort. Most GPs (family doctors) will prescribe sleep aids. Could you go to your family doctor and ask for a prescription, or perhaps even a sample? And is there any way you can change psychiatrists? This one does not seem like a good "fit" for you.

10. becvan

*sighs* Due to our lovely doctor shortage, I have no family doctor.

I am looking into a way to switch psychs as this one is just not working for me.

Why would Remeron be a last resort?

bec

11. Awakening

Awakening Well-Known Member

Ugh, what a frustrating situation.

I was going to suggest the GP too. My GP is very relunctant to give out sleep aids generally but she did with me after a lengthly discussion about the reasons for taking it the danger of addiction etc. An adult conversation. She asked me some questions, she was satisfied with the answer. She gave me a very small amount & we made a deal that I would only use sleep aids 3 times in one week, for no longer then a month (I have no prescription past this). I've stuck to my promise.

It baffles me that your psych wouldn't be willing to come to some agreement with you when you are clearly in desperate need of some sleep. Sleep deprivation is clearly something your psych has not had to deal with.

12. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Well, we know it seems like it could be help with the sleep:) Time will tell about the anxiety and depression. With what you have on your plate from what we talk about I think this is a good try and see no reason not to give it a go. I mean is there a drug without side effects? You may need something right now. I think you could use something to help you get your bearings so you can get a chance to get back to the self care you were doing so well at before. We can't all be without drugs all the time. Everyone is different and how they react to meds is the same thing, we all react different. I look forward to talking to you about how it goes for you. Bigs hugs and thanks for our talk down for each other tonight, I think we both needed it :)

13. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Oh, simply because it is a very powerful drug Bec, and has many uses. There are dozens of medications used specifically for sleep, with fewer side effects, which may help you. However, that advice was contingent upon you having a GP who could prescribe them. If you have no family doctor (which is atrocious!), I do see that you are quite in a bind unless you can convince the psych to give you a straight sleep med. Perhaps try the Remeron in that case. If it doesn't work or makes you ill, you can always go off it once more. Take good care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar