• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Psych Wants Me On Remeron. What Are Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to be reserved and convervative in what I say on the forum. I don't know you, your condition, your diagnoses, and your Dr. well enough to just jump in tell you what I think you should do. But you would be welcome to PM me a message, and I'll be helpfull in any way I can. I don't know if I can help or not, but I do have personal experience, and some professional knowledge in this area. Like I said before, good luck with whatever you decide.

Well I tried my first dose last night and have been unconscious since. I'm trying to stay awake currently. Have dizzy spells but that could be from the nasty antibiotic I'm on too, so hard to say. I'm going to cut my dose in half tonight and see if I can get up in the morning. Poor Matt. He brought me breakfast in bed today to bribe me up. LOL I was out again by the time he left for the bus.

I'll keep trying this med and work on getting a new psych in the meantime.

bec

I had to cut my already small dose to half for last night. I managed to get up at 10am today. I think it's a first that I can say I'm getting too much sleep! LOL. Not sure how it is symptom wise as I'm so drugged it's silly. I'll see how this goes for the next week on the tiny dose.

bec

I mean is there a drug without side effects?

Well actually the answer is yes, many of the newer medications for sleep have very few if any side effects, as opposed to something like Remeron or Trazadone that can have a myriad of unwanted effects. The only problem here in Canada is, the newer meds are usually not on the drug formulary, so that means if you are low income they are not covered by your drug plan. When I was on assistance there were a couple of sleep aids that worked really well for me but I couldn't afford to take them as they were very expensive and the government would not pay for them.

Bec, I'm really glad the Remeron is working for you. I just wanted to say though, in case your psychiatrist didn't tell you, Health Canada issued a warning in 2004 regarding the strong possibility of behaviour and emotional changes, including the risk of self-harm, in certain medications. Remeron was on that list. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take it, you may not have those effects at all, but it's a good thing to be aware of because Health Canada doesn't issue those kind of warnings lightly. You should be closely monitored while on it. If you start to feel strange mood changes which are not normal for you, it may be the Remeron.

Anyways good luck with it, sorry to be a downer but I thought you should know about that in case your psych didn't inform you.

Thanks Evie. Considering I wasn't told a thing about this drug, I greatly appreciate the information.

I have requested a new psych. I was warned it's not likely. I let the nurse know (she's great) that if I can't get someone else I will stop going to this one as I just can't stand her.

Everyone is rather shocked that I'm not being monitored and was basically told to take it and suck it up. Man I have no luck! :crazy:

bec

Sorry to thread jack for a moment. So what are any side effect free non addictive sleep aids if there are any? As I am getting my ass kicked and the lack of sleep is making me all the more symptomatic.

OK, Bec, you can have your thread back now ;) Hope you are still doing well on this new drug.

Hi bev. I've not posted in a while, but I read daily. My major pet peeve in my work to help myself heal is psych docs. Most of these folks know nothing but drugs and are majorly influenced by huge pharmaceutical companies. PTSD is far to complex for their minds to understand. They are more than happy to medicate the hell out of people so they "feel" better. I tried Remeron too. I slept as if God Himself cursed me with eternal grogginess. I gained 15 pounds in one month and almost lost my job due to call ins. My feelings towards these doctors border on out right hate. Years of my life were wasted f'ing around with pills when I needed a supportive therapist who would listen and care. These people do not have the backbone to admit when they are wrong or do not know something. It is easier to blame us and call us noncompliant. Remeron will not help you sleep, it will FORCE you to sleep. You've no choice once you take it. Sorry to rant. I'm sure that somewhere in the world there's an honest psychiatrist who admits that he/she does not know everything. From my personal experience, I also believe this is more than likely a fantasy. BTW, I think your psychdoc sucks.

Thanks so much. I think she sucks too. Yeah forced sleep is a term for it. Being in a coma is much more like it. At least it's not just me. What dose were you on? I'm taking 3mg and I'm still out for over 11 hours straight.

Good to hear from you again, btw. How's life treating you?

bec

I believe the dose was 30mgs. I may be wrong. It was a while ago. Life's rough these days. Just can't shake this gloom and doom feeling. I'll post about that later. I don't take psych meds. Haven't for years. I'm better for it. Benadryl works great for me when I can't sleep. And it wears off and is gone. Continued Remeron use causes a zombie effect in me. Ugh, that stuff was awful.

Sorry to thread jack for a moment. So what are any side effect free non addictive sleep aids if there are any?

There's actually 3 drugs, and they're all of the same drug family apparently, and I've tried all three. I don't remember the names of two of them, I'll have to think about it more, but the one is marketed as Lunesta (lunesta.com) in the USA. Sorry I guess I sort of lied about the side effects part, apparently there can be side effects, but they are quite uncommon. Most people experience no side effects, so I was told. I know I didn't have any side effects on any of the three drugs I tried, and that's quite telling for me as I usually react quite strongly to all drugs. Except I believe the one caused me to have a bitter taste in my mouth for about an hour after getting up in the morning, the first couple of days I took it. But I didn't have grogginess or headaches or weird dreams and so on. I slept for 8-9 hours straight each night I took a pill, but I felt awake when I got up in the morning, it wasn't so difficult to wake up as it is on other drugs. I had no withdrawals when I had go off them. These drugs are apparently non-habit forming. Anyways hope that helps. I'll try to remember the names of the other two but your doctor might know if you say they are related to Lunesta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back