1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

PTSD and 'Bad Months'

Discussion in 'General' started by Marlene, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I've noticed several other folks here who have spoken of 'bad months' in conjuntion with their PTSD. A particular month where a lot of rough stuff, traumas or other events happen in a life.

June is my 'bad month'. The anniversaries of my dad and sister's deaths, plus Father's Day (which is tomorrow here) is a tough time since my dad died the day after Father's Day. Things have been tighter for me than what has become my usual. Knowing why I'm feeling a particular way hasn't made those feelings lessen. But at least I understand why I'm feeling this way.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Along with healing and being more aware why and what exactly it is happening has made me better able to cope. As my therapist told me, the first two Junes that I lost it my body was simply remembering all those traumas and it just bubbled out of control. And now to add to it my body also recalls the intense panic attacks at those times and tries to keep doing the same thing.

I hope you get to a point that your anniversary is bearable. If I were not on medication I would not be coping as well, but understanding that I do need it at a higher dose to handle it is not the end of the world. Hell, even my therapist who is not too crazy about meds wanted me taking them to help me limp through the month in one piece. Surprisingly I am not taking as much as I thought I would simply by knowing and accepting what is happening to me and taking extra gentle care of myself.

I hope again you learn to weather June, it is a major area for me.

4. Marlene

I hope I do as well. I do know that I'm doing better than last June at this time. I keep reminding myself how far I've come and that I can do this. I honestly didn't think about June when I decided to wean down and eventually get off of my meds. So added to other things I've been dealing with, June has thrown a real monkey wrench into the works.

Today and tomorrow are the worst for me (today is the anniversary of my father's death and tomorrow is Father's Day). I'm hoping that keeping to a schedule, keep moving and doing will help me when things get rough. Maybe a hot bath and cold beer will help, too.

5. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

This is not an anniversary month for me but i have to go to a criminal hearing ( criminal victims compensation) I am scared to death. There are so many reminnders. I can't wait until the day that they don't make me feel like i want to vomit. Already had the hot shower, might try the beer next!!!!!!

6. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH yes fathers day..........my dad died 21 years ago, right before my assault.what a great fathers day....these two traumas seem to run together, yet they are so separate?????????????? The assault 20 years ago and here I am??????????????????
    Sorry guys I guess I am having a poor me moment. i am not even sure if this relates to the original post, sorry!

7. Marlene

Yeah, Pandora I think it does relate. Anything that reminds you of bad times fits...at least to me. And when things overlap around close dates (even if years are different) it makes it that much harder.

Yesterday my husband and youngest daughter took me to lunch and then a movie (I had asked to be kept busy yesterday). I went to yoga in the morning and then everything else later. So from 9am to about 5pm I was busy doing. As much as I enjoyed being with my family, I'm just glad yesterday is over.

Thanks veiled for giving me a different insight (mind and body remembering). It helped me a lot when my anxiety kept creeping up to remind myself of that fact.

Sure as hell be glad when July arrives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar