1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

PTSD and Chocolate Consumption

Discussion in 'Social' started by piglet, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Sorry everyone, but I have an observation, which imho is a benefit of having ptsd (there has to be some good parts - I'm determined to find them!)

Since entering my current bad spell/relapse (whatever), I have discovered that I am burning calories like nobodies business. I'm not sure if this is the effect of the meds (good ole prozac), or if it's my fairly constant anxiety state.

I do find that when I'm having a bad day, I can't eat much - I have no appetite and if I do force something down, I feel sick for hours. I'm guessing this is a biological result of my body wanting to be able to run like hell, and not want to waste energy on something as unimportant as digestion. In addition, there's all the adrenaline converting fats to sugar, so blood sugar is already up - no point in eating anything sweet.

As usual, I am taking three days to get to the point.....

Here's the good bit. When I have a good day I can eat loads of chocolate (biscuits, cake, bars of..etc) with the intention of putting on weight. If I ate like that a few months ago, I'd be the size of a small whale.

So there is a positive aspect of having ptsd (or ptsd-like symptoms).

Does anyone have any more, or am I just grasping at straws here?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

When I am depressed I eat 3 helpings of everything... tons of junk food along with
    minimum 5 chocolate bars a night (2 peanut butter o'henery's, and 3 reese cup)
    it's like I'm addicted to it.. it's really weird,
    The are cravings so strong that when I finally convince someone to go to the store to get it for me, I rip them open and eat 2 at one time.
    It's the one thing I won't share with anyone... my chocolate
    yeah but anyways... back to the point I was going to make...

I am barely 100 lbs.
    When I am in my anxious state (most of the time)
    I don't feel hungry... I'm not anorexic... but I don't eat
    Same as you piglet I can only manage a bite or two of food, then feel sick after.

I think when we are anxious our bodies are working at least twice as hard,
    therefor you could be right! we'd be using more calories when we have PTSD episodes

So I guess if you want that "model thin" look... heehee
    (but seriously... do you know any good weight gain methods? my counselor suggested "Boost" drink... but it tastes horrible.)

piratelady likes this.
  4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Yer... when I was depressed hard I put on about 15kg's, and now I have stripped about 8kg's off that back off again, just from stress, fatigue, anxiety, etc etc... all the shitty days of late... ok, shitty months. So yer, PTSD is definatley a weight control disorder.... Maybe we should call it, PostTraumatic Weight Control Disorder (PTWCD) :)

5. YoungAndAngry

Everytime I go to physical therapy I check my weight on the scale
    (they probally think I'm anorexic for doing it)
    but I get worried, because I'm at least 5'7" and about 98lbs

As I mentioned earilier I've tried "Boost" a meal replacement shake,
    but it tastes like carboard. really chalky...
    thinking of using the vanilla flavored one in my cereal instead of milk
    maybe it'll be bearable then, lol

6. anthony

The only boost I have tried, is Boost Juice from the makers themselves... but that is yummy....

I do do the protein shakes but now, a banana, some milk, a little icecream, weight powder and yoghurt... damn fine if I do say so myself!!!!!! LOL. They are really yummy, and probably better for me than just not eating.

7. YoungAndAngry

booster juice (the company) is awesome!!

I should just go there and get my lunch!

8. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Things for weight gain...hmm. How about chocolate, ice-cream, chocolate ice-cream, cake (chocolate, of course). I have developed this habit of going to the kids sweets section in the supermarket and getting all of the sweets I always wanted when I was a kid. All the while I can hear in my head "They'll rot your teeth!". Oh well - that's what dentists are for. Not that I go to the dentists - far too scary for me.

I can't imagine what being 100lbs is like. I am of similar height, but look skinny at 140lbs. I truly am a "big boned" person :) this has an advantage of being stronger than people think I am - got one hell of a right hook! :cool: Not that I use it often, you understand....I'm one of those people who is over-restrained, rather than hitting out. Doesn't do me much good, but I guess it helps those around me when I'm having a bad day. I dread to think what would happen if I really lost it at someone. Changing, the subject, cos this is getting a bit serious here....

the need for a healthy and balanced diet aside, I will always go for chocolate, whatever form it's in. Even better is one of those really rich hot chocolate drinks with whipped cream.....Going to have to go - I'm starting to dribble and my laptop might short out :eek: -although I suppose I may be dribbling cos I'm crazy. Oh well.....

9. anthony

Argh.... your not crazy, were all just a bit fruity round here... round here... round here! Is that an echo, echo, echo?????

10. YoungAndAngry

we're fruity loops, hahaha

11. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Just found this post!

Thought that my "eating disorder" "LMAO!" was due to my lack of self control. I could sit down and make a meal out of chocolate, and have been know to do just that.

Another strange side affect of eating that has mystified me for some time is the way I sleep after lunch. I best get everything done before I eat lunch cuz my day is over until 7 or 8 in the evening. I go to sleep and sleep hard. Wake up, eat dinner, enjoy the evening and go to bed at a normal time

Mother has expressed concern over my excess amount of sleeping. I do seem to increase the amount of sleep I need during difficult times. Plus my craving for chocolate goes through the roof when I'm in one of my bad times.

I have always joke that you can tell how happy I am by looking at my weight. Happy thin--sad fat! Never occured to me that it could be one of the lovely side affects of PTSD

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the things I learn here. Helps quite a lot to learn that the weird and strange things you experience is not "just you"! There is a reason why you do and think stuff, and that it can be explained is so comforting. OOPS! Got, off the subject, so I'll get off my saop box, sorry

12. ruddy

ruddy Active Member

PTSD seems to be good weight control for me as well and helps me to stay in shape. It's not that I don't eat, it's just that I get hyper when I'm stressed and then I can't stop moving so I walk, lift weights, ride my bycicle, and run laps on my stairwell. I've had people accuse me of being anorexic when in reality I eat like a pig to maintain a healthy body weight so I won't lose strength. Then when my stress level goes down and I exercise less I've got to ratchet down my eating habits. It's not easy to manage or stay in the same size clothes.

13. WorkingThruIt

WorkingThruIt Active Member

To be honest, the only positive thing from a several month long stretch of depression is the weight loss. I eat when I get anxious, so weight gain is more of my problem. I usually drop 30-40 lbs when a major depression hits, but it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to. I just get the insomnia now. Lucky me!! (joking)