• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd and sensory overload

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad am not alone with this :D Thought I've been proper loosing it :s

Realised over last few weeks, as I've become more hypervigilant/had more flashbacks etc I have been in a state of sensory overload. Hate watching TV with sound on, & even flickering of colours and bright screen can upset me. Also, just light in general feels too much for my eyes to take in & process. I can't cope with taking things in visually, or auditory - I guess as having a lot of sensory flashbacks = bodily sensations, that sense is hightened so others are being pushed away. Started hiding under covers day & night where pitch black so can't see & invested in ear plugs - too noisy just background traffic u describe. I know am isolating myself in my own lil world, apart from reality, but when feeling like this reality is just too overpowering & threatening :s

I have huge issues with noise levels also. The more stressed out I am the more I need quiet.

I also have issues wtih textures of things and my clothes fitting to tight. I like room to move and feel like I am sufficating when I wear anything that is stretchy but form fitting. I definately don't fit into the current fashion trends.

I can understand the visual overload also. I have a hard time blocking out things when I want to relax. So the less visually stimulating the room the easier it is to relax

I have it all. visual, tactile , auditory .
colors are bright and strong, sounds are strong and loud. it is very hard to live like that.
well you should know that there is a condition called hyperacusis: it is a sound intolerance, most people get it from load burst of noise. but it can be s symptom of other disorders , including aspergers ,autism , Williams syndrome , and PTSD.
regardless the cause of hyperacusis it can be treated.

" So far, the most promising therapy for hyperacusis involves listening to broadband pink sound at barely audible levels for a disciplined period of time each day. This protocol is called Tinnitus (or Hyperacusis) Retraining Therapy and was developed by Dr. Pawel Jastreboff who is currently at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia."

"Broadband pink sound (TRT) is similar to the static you hear on a radio frequency that contains no radio station (de-tuned FM station). This FM white noise contains all the frequencies the human ear can hear - including the ones we are sensitive to. Pink noise has been found to be a better sound because there is less energy in the high frequencies. By lessening the impact of the high frequencies, our ears can recover faster. Pink sound spans the most common frequencies heard in every day life. For that reason, once our ears learn to tolerate pink sound, many are able to return to the mainstream of life."

http://www.hyperacusis.net

I am not sure this is considered in sensitivity or not. I am super sensitive to emotions and daily activities. Most of them makes me feel intense and uncontrollable. It looks like it is in huge amount and I can't handle it. I am going to fall over the floor now. Gladly, It hasn't happened. It's scary experience.

I understand ptsd can make us more vulnerable to other things

Greetings, folks!

I know this is an older thread, but I stumbled upon it while doing a little bit of investigation on the correlation/comorbidity of PTSD and SPD.

As an aspiring OT (currently in school for Master's), my hope is to make this my thesis topic, and to ultimately enter into the OT field with a speciality in Adult Onset PTSD and/or SPD. With that said, I know there are OTs out there that either have a great interest in helping this specific population (search OTs by your state on google....you'll be surprised what you may find.), or are actively practicing such methods. Personally, I'd like to incorporate homeopathy into my practice, so this may be something you all would like to look into, as well. ABC homeopathy is a good website--casual, but authentic.

In the meantime, I'd love to stay in touch with you all, or please feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I'd be happy to help the best I can....Obviously, I'm not certified, and OT is a dynamic therapy practiced in person, but I'm here to listen the best I can.

Be well, and enjoy the winter months!

If I get an impression that something is coming towards me quickly, particulary my face, I freak out.

Now that I'm triggered, again, I am that way, again.

I also experience a different sort of sensory overstimulation, a sort of spatial invasion of my personal space where suddenly the world can feel too close, too full of "things", too intrusive of the basic space and oxygen I need around me in order to feel safe and functional.

In the past when I get that way (like now I need it), I'd go up to the mountains so I could get what I call "people polluted" undone.

if you are more visual (learn better visually, are artistic, tend to use visual language, etc), you are more likely to become auditorily overwhelmed and just unable to process auditory information. That's me.
I know this Sensory Overload or Sensory Processing Disorder is commonly treated by specialized Occupational Therapists in children.

I am sure glad they are doing that now. They did that many years ago but in different ways (1950's). I was blessed with some great doctors back then. I've put a call in to my therapist this morning and am waiting for him to return the call so I can get an appointment. I'm a wreck today. My little are so scared I can't even talk without them crying right out loud. And I know it's not the pain, they don't cry often from the pain, but when they are in a safe place and are this scared, it's hard to keep us grounded.

Safenow, I'm so glad you pointed to this thread! Oh yes, oh heavens! I often want to strangle my daughter when she is 'in my face'. If you want to get killed, bring your hand near my face. Even something as innocuous as someone holding a spoon near my face and urging me to taste causes a flash of blind anger. Noise, relentless noise, loud noise, rhythmic noise ... all of it. I got goosebumps reading this thread! Noise makes me aggressive!

And yet, I'm hard of hearing!

My little are so scared I can't even talk without them crying right out loud. And I know it's not the pain, they don't cry often from the pain, but when they are in a safe place and are this scared, it's hard to keep us grounded.
Oh Safenow, I wish there was something I could do! Is there anything you can do to make it better?

I called the office for victims of crime here to find out if they have a support group for victims, but they have to call me back. I had to call them back to give them the case number before they will help me. So I did that few minutes ago. Now, I’m just waiting for her to call me back.

I called my therapist a while back as well, and am waiting for him to call me back. Gosh, I hate waiting.

I've been grounding all morning. Four of my alters are out in full force today. My littlest little who's only 2, my ten year old, my 24 year old, and my religious who has no age, and me. So, I guess you could say I am five today. LOL. But it's must be just me, safeway who is responsible for us all.

My neighbor came down to comb my hair and the voice was Abby. So I know why I burst into tears when my scripture buddy came over this morning. sigh. Having PTSD and Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), as well as multiple physical issues makes life so dang hard sometimes.

I have double sensory overload issues, I don't think its official but apparently I could be on the autism spectrum according to a past therapist and the current one also thinks its certianly possible not so sure if that constitutes a diagnoses and if not how to go about one.

But yeah since the PTSD I am even more sensitive to that sort of thing, some days are like hell...then to top it off then people criticize me for being irritable but they would be to if they felt how I did. I mean it would be like expecting someone not to get mad and yell while poking them with a pin just enough to cause discomfort but long enough to where it becomes painful. For instance earlier I was trying to make myself something to eat since I hadn't really eaten all day, it was hard enough trying to keep my hands steady since I was feeling all shaky and even the normal amounts of noise where kinda hurting my head. And then my moms boyfriend comes in saying something about crushing boxes in the recycling, they were my boxes and I was already overwhelmed so I snapped at him and then everyone was all criticizing me for it as if I thought to myself 'I'm going to be rude just for the hell of it.'

I kinda just dropped it since that conversation was likely to become an argument but its frustrating when people don't get it. Basically it can get to the point where it feels like everything is too intense and then one more noise or normal stressor ends up being the final straw before I snap at someone or pretty much shut down and go hide in my room or somewhere quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back