• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd Causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past two weeks I have been getting injections to relieve my carpal tunnel syndrome, which I have in both arms. My doctor does the injections under ultrasound to be sure that the medicine is given in the right place. He told me today that he found that I have unusual anatomy in my wrists/forearms. Apparently I have hypertrophy (overenlargement) of the muscles that surround the carpal tunnel space.

He was a bit flummoxed as to why I had this, and believe me, I'm no body builder! I told him that because of my Ptsd, I am constantly making fists and gripping objects much too tightly. He said that would certainly do it. He was so surprised by this that he brought residents in to see it.

I guess this is a first, as far as he's concerned. I consider it a pretty sad thing, because it's physical proof of how screwed up I still am because most of the time I'm not aware I'm doing it. Of course I was advised to try to stop doing this. Yeah, it's just that easy to break a habit of decades. But I guess I need to try, or I may screw up the results of the surgery I'm supposed to have next year.

I don't doubt that trauma can cause physical issues as well. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. I'm dealing with TMJ after a lifetime of grinding my teeth and it just all around sucks! I hope things improve for you pain wise.

Hi,

I've had a sore left elbow for a few years (cubital tunnel syndrome)! It feels slightly numb and painful if I rest on it but other than that (thank goodness) it doesn't bother me. I used to (still do a bit) repeatedly score the tips of my index fingers with the side of my thumb nail.

I didn't go to the doctors about it becuase I rang the NHS helpline and they give it a few weeks it might go. It didn't but seen as it isn't a major problem for me I left it. I looked up what you have and it looks painful. Sorry about that.

PS my fidgety symptoms calmed down a bit when I got treated for vitamin d deficieny and low iron. Saunas and the swimming pool helped me too!

It would be difficult to state with accuracy whether PTSD caused something... stress causes a lot of things, being part of PTSD... but whether PTSD causes it... well... maybe not.

I agree its difficult to state with accuracy but its an interesting and potentially beneficial (to the patient) avenue to explore. It also might make practitioners think of ptsd in a more holistic way and move them away from an often singularly medication based stance. I noticed there was also people on this thread reporting bruxism and teeth grinding etc, all forms of the same thing. Stress does cause alot of things. I wonder if toxic levels of adrenaline in the muscular system are the root. Gripping things tightly, lashing out, fierce amounts of excercise, self harm etc etc. I would be glad of the medical research community studying it more closely, often peoples hunches are right. Whatever research concluded, either way it would take some of the mental/emotional anxiety off the sufferer which is al ot of battle and ease the level of frustration, internal scrutiny and adopted external blame.

Hi Stormy Weather.

This discussion made me think of what psychologists or body language experts call 'leaking' and what criminal investigator types call 'indicators' (I think) when somebody is lying. I suppose that your problem is an pronounced version of what under normal circumstances wouldn't leave a trace.

How is the treatment? Have they given you a prognosis?

It would be difficult to state with accuracy whether PTSD caused something... stress causes a lot of things, being part of PTSD... but whether PTSD causes it... well... maybe not.
Well, the fist clenching is a result of my PTSD, and the DOCTOR said the enlarged muscle was due to that. Not a direct cause, maybe, but definetly causal. Sorry my experience didn't fit into your definition.

Springer - I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying regarding my condition. Sounds sort of like you're calling me a liar.

No, not at all. It wasn't until I came across your post that I considered that my elbow might be from the same source. The only reason I ignored mine was because I am largely able too, since thankfully it's more annoying than it is painful. I was just thinking aloud about how it might fit into other areas that are more understood. It's a habit from having to explain my symptoms all the time.

Sorry that you thought that, it wasn't my intention. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back