• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Childhood Ptsd Due To Narcissistic Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitebird

Confident
Hi all,
Does anyone here have PTSD due to childhood narcissistic abuse?
I really feel ashamed of having PTSD just because of narcissistic abuse(mostly emotional, some physical).
Is it common?
I searched the forum for some cases, but didn't find anybody like me.
I am trying to find someone like me for not feeling alone, I guess.
Thank you

My PTSD develop from a lot of different things (complex trauma), but a huge chunk of it is from narcissistic abuse, also mostly emotion with some physical.

It is common to struggle a lot as a narcissistic abuse survivor. I've never looked into this before myself, but a quick google search for "narcissistic abuse" found lots of resources. Might be helpful to look into, I know I'll look at a few of them later today.

I don't know about others, but what I struggle the most with is not owning my own identity. My mother owns me, she's got the power to control me as she likes unless I stay away from her (which I do). You're not alone

Thank you all for your replying
I would be happy to know that someone's trauma is only narcissistic abuse. I feel really lonely. Most of you have different kinds of trauma(childhood, accidents, sexual etc.), but mine is only emotional and some physical from my narcissistic father(both involved and witnessed). I am 26, but I feel like a small child who can't bear any kinds of difficulties in her life.

I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to find someone who suffered at the hands of a narcissist only. Abuse is abuse. You reject support from those who suffered at the hands of more than just a narcissistic person. Your isolation is a construct of your own mind. I think that in your mind if we received other types of abuse you can 100% write off our suffering to the other causes. But, I'll tell you this. The crap I went through at the hands of a narcissist was the worst and I'm still dealing with it to this day. I've been able to work through the other stuff already and put it behind me.

Solara, I didn't reject others' support. As I said before, I think my case is uncommon. When I read others' stories, I felt I am just overreacting.

Physical abuse is physical abuse, and common to many with PTSD. Whether the person who hit you was a narcissist or not is (as @Solara said) not a way to determine whether a trauma is "lesser".

If you've been diagnosed with PTSD by a qualified professional, that's it.

But it's really common to feel like your trauma isn't "bad" enough.

Have you been diagnosed?

Also - when we look back at stuff from childhood with an adult perspective, we easily think that it wasn't a big deal. But you need to remember that the way a child understands events is very different from an adult. I think, for example, bee sting that puts you in the hospital as a five year old could create a devastating trauma effect - but as an adult, it might be only terrifying, not traumatizing. (Or it could be traumatizing, depending on context).

My complex PTSD is in part related to my Narcissistic mother and the fact that I am the black sheep who can do nothing right in her eyes. That foundation has led to more and more complications that have just made my PTSD 'complex' including marrying a psychopath who tried to kill me... please don't quit your therapy because your trauma isn't 'bad' enough, or it will could end up getting 'bad enough' and I don't want that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back