• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Ptsd from reactions to asperger's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovinHuggin

New Here
I just joined here and I'm finding it a bit scary and I feel a fraud for being here. If someone with Asperger's was hit and physically abused by a parent whenever they didn't fit in because their Asperger's behaviour was very obvious amongst family gatherings and they were also bullied all through primary school and high school would they develop PTSD?

I just feel like I'm not allowed to have PTSD, I feel guilty about it. I'm always so paranoid and loud and afraid of going outside unless it's safe places where I feel comfortable. :unsure:

Hi,

Its actually quite common that those with Aspergers, Autism, etc, can get PTSD because they do become socially isolated and targeted for their illness, and even as you have stated, abused by parents due to being more difficult to handle.

It is more common than you may think, and if your abuse is traumatic enough to warrant PTSD, then that is the end result.

I'm not sure exactly what the question is, LovinHuggin. If the question is might you have ptsd symptoms from trauma you might have suffered growing up with Asperger's I would think the answer is sure. Abuse and bullying are both potential causes of ptsd symptoms. If the question is are you likely to have ptsd as a primary diagnosis, I would guess probably not since you would probably have a primary diagnosis of Asperger's with the ptsd symptoms seen as secondary, but you would really want to pose the question to a clinical psychologist.

I would think that regardless of the label, as you age and the Asperberger's symptoms moderate treating the ptsd symptoms might well become the primary therapudic focus. The mix will make it more challenging sorting stuff out and developing appropriate activities and relationships at any specific age.

Ted

Go to the doctor tell your story and just tell em you want to see a psychologist and have a talk with him/her if you want to be sure

I have both. Sometimes I cannot tell what is PTSD related and what is Aspie related. I do sometimes wonder if my PTSD diagnosis was accurate considering I never mentioned the autism part to that therapist (with good reason... that was my secret from the military). I've noticed a lot of similarities between symptoms, and even though I experienced a traumatic moment, that doesn't necessarily mean I developed PTSD, but as years progress and my symptoms, I'm starting to believe the PTSD diagnosis more. But yeah, if you got both, I'm just letting you know it's hard to tell between them sometimes.

Hi, your not alone. I have both Autism and PTSD. I also find it hard to work out which is which symptom. My psychiatrist has also diagnosed me with a Impulse Control Disorder, mainly diagnosed with that because of my self harm. I keep relapsing all the time but I try very hard to control it. Although, some of my friends that also have ASD and some that don't have suggested that I might have Bipolar 2 and/or Borderline Personality Disorder. That wouldn't surprise me, if I had those things as well, I've researched it quite alot and I do seem to fit the criteria for it. Although when I have suggested to my psychiatrist that I think I might have Bipolar 2 as well, he completely ignored me, and just said "oh well your already on Bipolar meds anyway" and he didn't take it further. But to me I like to have a definite answer if I do or don't have it, I now have a different psychiatrist who takes me more serious then the last one, and I have requested in writing that I get referred to someone that can diagnose whether I have it or not. And then once that has been sorted I will tackle the the Borderline Personality Disorder.

I have learnt to tackle the symptoms one by one as they rise, and that seems to work for me! You can private message me anytime, if you want to learn more!

I have an Asperger's diagnosis but no official one for PTSD. But I'm quite sure I could get one if I would only start to tell some of the things that happened to me and the way I was and am. Really.
Yeah, it is sometimes hard to differenciate which symptom belongs to what but I don't know if it really-really is that necessary. If you want to get therapeutic treatment it will be important though.

There is no reason why Aspergers should be the only people on earth who are so resilient that nothing can touch them. In fact, most of us are just the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back