• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD - If You Could Draw It Or Describe It - What Would It Look Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vision of PTSD is a huge, foaming-at-the-mouth, raging warthog, with sharply jagged teeth. Sometimes I AM the warthog, sometimes it is separate and chasing me around. When it chases me, I always have that "running in molasses" feeling.

Thanks for that good question, Kaydee!
skyp

My imagery changes so quickly some days - like today an all consuming black hole which muffles sound.

I always have that "running in molasses" feeling.

I know this feeling, and this is a really good description, thankyou skyp. It is a slower than slow-motion feeling.

I agree this is a good thread -yes. My imagery of it changes also.

Like many of the posts here, how I visualize PTSD changes from time to time. However, if I pictured it right now...

PTSD would be a really sadistic Jack-in-the-Box (no, not the restaurant).

Kind of like this: s138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/customtoylab/?action=view&current=Evil-Jack-in-the-Box-1.jpg

Carer

I am a carer and I would see it as nothing. A big blank page. The page covers the real person inside. if you try to rip a page that is whole it is very difficult to break through. If you put tiny holes in it one by one then when it's ready it tears easily. This is how I see his PTSD. With help, he can put enough holes in that blank page to shred it. If we carer can be patient enough, it will be worth while. I hope!!!

Wow Dixie, what an optimistic way to view it, -thanks.
Never ever thought of it that way, "masking the real 'you' ".
-Neat.

It's hard to discribe what ptsd looks like it looks different at different times but on a bad very dark .It's looks like a raging fire but with no color just dark .

I really like this analagy Dixie, I will be incorporating it into my mental imagery as a way that I can tackle and manage my PTSD. You have not and are not only helping your sufferer in sharing this, you have helped me.
A big blank page. The page covers the real person inside. if you try to rip a page that is whole it is very difficult to break through. If you put tiny holes in it one by one then when it's ready it tears easily. This is how I see his PTSD. With help, he can put enough holes in that blank page to shred it.!!!
I have found so much of my mental imagery has almost been too powerful and overwhelming, this of yours helps me very much in taking the pTSD and bringing it back to maybe something I can work on. While I have been dealing with it and making some worthwhile progress, it has been difficult trying to find a mental image that I believe I could cope with and "wrestle".

In your suggestion I believe I may have found another better image that makes PTSD easier perhaps for me to feel I can fight.

If we carers can be patient enough, it will be worth while. I hope

Be hopefull Dixie, I can see how it can be worthwhile. Patience is something that we can keep coming back to as both sufferer's and carers.

I thank you for your sharing this here

~fin

It is sooo nice to see positive things come out of this thread.

Talking to a friend recently she defines her PTSD as one part of her and refuses to let people define her by her illness - box her in so to speak.

We came to describe the visualisation process as creating a big picture with changing elements within it - some days your "compassion" "spirituality" "empathy" or whatever would be the central image with all else taking a back seat.

It was a eye opening discussion that helped us both define ourselves and the elements that make us who we are and put them all in perspective !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back