• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd service dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FindingMyself88

MyPTSD Pro
Was just curious if anyone on here has gotten a PTSD or psychiatric service dog? My psychiatrist and therapist both think a service dog would be a good option for me. I have found the place and have started the application process. I really need one to help with grounding and motivation.

That's a good idea. Mine sort of became one for me. When I'm having anxiety, petting her , (oddly just her, not with my other dog) lowers my anxiety and calms me.

quic, yes there are some nonprofit ones out there you just have to look for them! I just was blessed to find a nonprofit that specializes in PTSD dogs that is only 7 hours away from me. Its called Guardian Angels, there are some others as well!

All my dogs have supported me with such natural ease that I can't imagine someone else being able to train them better than nature has programmed them for it. My training is far more for allowing them to navigate human packs than helping me with my PTSD. My dogs have even woke me from nightmares. I will give up my humans long before I give up my dog. No contest on that score.

I have thought about registering my dog as a service dog so I can travel with her more easily.

Kira is my SD. She is with me 24/7 and my angel. I've posted quite a lot about her in my diary and around the forum so I won't repeat it all here.

Good luck.:tup:
IMG_20131005_120915_426.jpg

certified as a service dog,

There is no legal certification (In the US).

[DLMURL]http://adata.org/service-animals[/DLMURL]
"A public entity or private business may not ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability. It also may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal, or require the animal to wear an identifying vest."

I just don't want you to get ripped off by scams that try to sell you certification or I'd's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back