1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ptsd Service Dogs

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by FindingMyself88, Oct 17, 2013.

1. FindingMyself88

FindingMyself88 Well-Known Member

Was just curious if anyone on here has gotten a PTSD or psychiatric service dog? My psychiatrist and therapist both think a service dog would be a good option for me. I have found the place and have started the application process. I really need one to help with grounding and motivation.
    JustBe and quic like this.
  2. Flyaway

Flyaway Active Member Premium Member

Noooo... But I'd love one!!! Thanks for sharing :happy:
  3. That's a good idea. Mine sort of became one for me. When I'm having anxiety, petting her , (oddly just her, not with my other dog) lowers my anxiety and calms me.
  4. SweetLullaby

SweetLullaby Music was my first love and it will be my last. Premium Member

There are quite a few threads about this topic. Please put Service Dog in the search-field on the top right of the page, and mark the field "search titles only". Then you'll get listed several threads about PTSD service dogs. I hope it'll help you.:)
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Solara and JustBe like this.
  5. FindingMyself88

Ok thank you lullaby!
    SweetLullaby likes this.
  6. quic

quic Member

I was thinking about this yesterday. Great idea. It can be very expensive to train a service dog. Are there non-profits helping to provide service dogs for PTSD?
    Flyaway likes this.
  7. FindingMyself88

quic, yes there are some nonprofit ones out there you just have to look for them! I just was blessed to find a nonprofit that specializes in PTSD dogs that is only 7 hours away from me. Its called Guardian Angels, there are some others as well!
  8. arfie

arfie Well-Known Member

All my dogs have supported me with such natural ease that I can't imagine someone else being able to train them better than nature has programmed them for it. My training is far more for allowing them to navigate human packs than helping me with my PTSD. My dogs have even woke me from nightmares. I will give up my humans long before I give up my dog. No contest on that score.

I have thought about registering my dog as a service dog so I can travel with her more easily.
    Britt.f7 likes this.
  9. JustBe

JustBe No longer a leaf in the wind Premium Member

Kira is my SD. She is with me 24/7 and my angel. I've posted quite a lot about her in my diary and around the forum so I won't repeat it all here.

Good luck.:tup: IMG_20131005_120915_426.
  10. MissMacD

MissMacD VIP Member

I have two lovely mutts. I would love to get at least one of them certified as a service dog, my dogs have a huge impact on my well being.
    Britt.f7, Flyaway and SweetLullaby like this.
  11. DharmaGirl

DharmaGirl Walking the Eightfold Path Premium Member

DSC_0080_edited-1. This is my Nugget with my son. She is a huge help for me! She is my PTSD service dog trained by me. I don't need her when I go out, since I hardly do, but I will take her if I need to.
  12. JustBe

There is no legal certification (In the US).

http://adata.org/service-animals
    "A public entity or private business may not ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability. It also may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal, or require the animal to wear an identifying vest."

I just don't want you to get ripped off by scams that try to sell you certification or I'd's.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Barberian and Britt.f7 like this.
  13. MissMacD

MissMacD VIP Member

I live in Canada, not sure what the deal is here for service dogs but pretty much certain that I'd have to pay money to have her certified.
    Britt.f7 likes this.
  14. Britt.f7

Britt.f7 VIP Member Premium Member

I wouldn't live without my dog. She seems to know when I am not doing well. I think getting a service dog is a great idea. Good thing you have a place that is fairly close to you.
  15. FindingMyself88

Thanks everyone who shared. Yes, my dog use to help me a lot but now I live away at college and cannot have a regular pet. Plus I really need help with grounding and a regular dog doesn't do that. I really hope I get accepted, my psychiatrist and therapist both think that a service dog would help me more so than the medicine has.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
    JustBe and Britt.f7 like this.
  16. Britt.f7

Britt.f7 VIP Member Premium Member

I think regular dogs can do that, however, it is a crap shoot finding one. With a trained dog you are guaranteed, I would think, that they will definitely pick up when you need it to be there. I hope your application is approved!
  17. FindingMyself88

Thank you Britt. I will definitely keep everyone updated. Even if I get accepted, I am looking at atleast a year and a half before I get the dog. So I just hope I can make it through until then. I'm barely functioning anymore in school and work...
    Britt.f7 likes this.
  18. JustBe

Having Kira by my side wherever I go is the reason I was able to leave most meds behind.

Good luck.
    FindingMyself88 and Britt.f7 like this.
  19. FindingMyself88

What all does Kira do for you?

I know personally I need a service dog trained to ground me, cover me, wake me up from nightmares, and maybe alert me when a situation is getting too stressful. By this I mainly mean family get together a when I'm around my abusers. Sometimes I don't realize how much anxiety is building until it's too late.
    JustBe and Britt.f7 like this.
  20. JustBe

She does all that and if I begin to dissociate she'll alert and lead me to an exit and bring me to a safe place while grounding me.

Sept 2012...

I would not be able to leave the house without my service dog. At night she sleeps against me and if she is calm, I can relax. When we are out she focuses my attention on her needs rather than my hypervigilance. If she greets someone I know that I am safe. If she alerts, we move away.

Before I go into a full blown panic attack she alerts and distracts me. When we are out she is a buffer between myself and others. If I freeze or dissociate in a store she alerts and leads me to the nearest exit. When I shake and fly out of myself at home she lays across my legs or chest and grounds me. She is my friend, my angel and my support "person" 24/7.

When she doesn't have her vest on she is free to be a dog and she romps and runs and rolls in nasty things like any other dog. She has a chihuahua that we got as a puppy that she raised and dotes on.

Just yesterday at the grocery store (something I could not do before she came to me) 5 employees greeted her by name with big smiles on their faces. Two of them told me it makes their day when they see her.

My world has grown and become safer because of my service dog.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Britt.f7 and Chincho like this.
  21. FindingMyself88

Wow, that is amazing. This makes me wish to hurry and be accepted. It gives me some hope.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
    Britt.f7 and JustBe like this.
  22. DharmaGirl

DharmaGirl Walking the Eightfold Path Premium Member

My Nugget does all that too, except she is rusty in stores since I hardly take her. I need to take her more. I trained her myself. I also have her sister, Bella, who does not care if I have nightmares, or stressed. She is very well behaved though. So it is a crapshoot if you get a dog and try to train her yourself.
    Britt.f7 and JustBe like this.