• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd Sydney Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

New Here
Hello,
I live in Sydney and I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD after my partner of 10 years was killed suddenly in a motor accident in March this year.

I am looking for a support group that I could join.

I'm also looking for a PTSD therapist in the inner west if anyone could recommend one that is likely to have an opening for a new client please let me know.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura,

I noticed you hadn't an answer here, don't know if someone has contacted you directly.

I started a Support Group for Carers of PTSD sufferers late last year, but put it on hold as I was studying this year. At the time I had 1 person in my group so was able to maintain contact with her. I'm restarting next year, so whilst my group wouldn't suit you I thought perhaps you could try Carers Australia website or even Beyondblue website.

As for therapy maybe try Traumatic Stress Clinic at Westmead hospital, Northside West Clinic, I think St John of God have a Campus inner west of Sydney. I'm a Sydneyite too so felt I had to respond for that reason alone! These can all be googled by the way that's how I found them.

Hope you're able to find some help and support.

Hi Laura,

My psychologist suggested to me yesterday that I might have C-PTSD and asked me research it, so with a grain of salt I googled it. Holy cow, I did not expect to end up crying in front of the PC. It's like someone wrote multiple texts about me and my behaviours. My behavioural problems have been attributed to teen angst, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, attention seeking, plain old being a b*tch, depression PND and now depression/anxiety. At no point did I feel like any therapist/doctor/person was diagnosing me correctly because they would only diagnose a certain set of criteria to suite their opinion. Whats bizarre is that I have always told my story in full and it has never once been considered that I might have C-PTSD. As we speak, my psychologist is talking to my psychiatrist and I am meeting with them both tomorrow.

From my past, I can think of 2 prolonged periods in which I have been traumatised: highschool, where I was humiliated and beaten up (even after changing schools, the same sh*t followed me because other students also changed schools) and several medical situations that were life threatening, some of which have ongoing repercussions.

I've been called weird, crazy, psycho, skitzo and an attention seeker for years, by various people, including my ex who was abusive (though I do not think he has anything to do with my trauma because I used to hit him back without hesitation and with results and I had these problems BEFORE he came along).

My husband has been incredibly supportive, considering all he has dealt with in trying to keep me by his side. We are expecting our second baby but were unaware until I recently overdosed on Aladorm and the hormones came up on a routine blood test. It was a shock to both of us, believe me. I need to get my sh*t together if I am going to bring this baby into the world. A good captain doesn't take the passengers down with the ship, but gives them the opportunity to reach safety first. I cant self harm because my husband will see it (and fighting the urges feels unnatural so I rip my fingers to shreds). I am a codeine addict and also prone to taking copious amounts of Restavit to knock myself out or simply not feel anything. I only let my husband or my son touch me (hugging friends/family is very uncomfortable for me), I am numb to other people, especially my stepkids, often my own son too. I am vigilant in monitoring whether or not my nephew is being bullied at my former highschool and my half-sister being bullied at her high school. I am constantly vigilant about my abdominal pain an account of my medical history, but deny needing medical attention until Im screaming in pain.

I KNOW I have issues with self worth, but am indignant when others start to point my flaws out to me. My husband hates it when I say "I don't want to be around me, so why would you want to be around me?". I startle very easily, with even a little scare resulting in me yelling at my husband while my hands are shaking and my chest tightens.

Basically, this is a huge revelation for me, after years of misdiagnosis. I'd heard of PTSD but not C-PTSD and upon reading about it, I could practically hear my brain going "DING!" with the right answer.

Did you also feel enlightened when you finally got the right diagnosis and it turned out that you really are not crazy?

DeepThought, please keep threads on topic, and relevant. Your reply is completely off topic (unless I'm missing something?), so please post in the correct forums in future or your posts may be deleted.

You also might be interested to know that C-PTSD is not an official diagnosis [DLMURL]https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/wow-the-apa-really-got-the-new-ptsd-diagnosis-right.27151/#post-407837[/DLMURL] , so you might want to review your psychologists credentials.

Gday to you all,
I have just ended for the second time a relationship of 10 months with my girlfriend.I have been diagnosed with PTSD after a near death work accident 8 years ago.This is where the twist begins.

My ex girlfriend was diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist a couple of years back. She was already on the dex meds when I met her.
We connected greatly in our early days when it was just us together.She told me she was a deep thinker and deep feeler and I have related to this all my life.I bared my soul on my accident where I broke my back and she shared her pain of her ex husband going to jail for drugs.She had a day to day struggle of trying to provide for her self and 10 year old daughter when she had lost almost everything through her ex's drug charges.

At the time I didn't know about my PTSD and trauma in general but I think this is just one of many traumas she has had in her life.We continued to help each other in a caring way.

As soon as others and especially family were in the mix we seemed to trigger each others traumas.
I believe she has been misdiagnosed and either has PTSD and related issues or she has these as well.(ADHD,PTSD,BPD...

At one stage she had referred ME to her psychiatrist thinking I was ADHD.Dexies helped but all made sense when I had the PTSD diagnosis.She is currently taking 16 dexies per day.That's 80mg.Of what I hear that is a lot.

I realise all the similar signs of PTSD,BPD,ADHD etc..and I also know the psychiatrist can only see her for a
limited time.Today I learnt she has not seen him for over a year.He probably thinks she is doing ok.

Take it from me.Her and I shared our deepest feelings and she confided she shared much more with me than anyone else including her family.My mistake was with my PTSD issues and learning about my self and what is helping me,I have tried to be her therapist/saviour.

Whenever she is out of her comfort zone,whether emotionally,physically or psychologically she has massive panic attack to the point of psychosis or a deepest depression.It is very much like my triggers of feeling unsafe in certain situations(fear based)

I am very patient and considerate for most of the time offering options and choices but she will usually in that state of mind turn me into the scapegoat,push me away saying I don't care and understand and subconsciously she will make a choice.

It is too hard for her to face her fear and I must go.Even though I know deep down she cares for me greatly.

We got back together and were going great and growing,and then family anxiety/fear started again and boom.Relationship over again.I called it off both times as it is not good for my mental health and wellbeing but I still care and hope she gets better.At this stage I cannot see us being together as our relationship would be toxic as it is but would like her to get the help she needs.

She believes nothing else can be done for her and the dexies are the best meds she has had so far.I'm sure they do help on a dopamine level but alot of her core issues are family based.She shuts others out and feels it is her against the world.I tried to encourage her to let her family know her issues but she won't because of the feelings of pain,inadequecy,judgment guilt and shame amongst others.

I am already seeing a psychologist that deals in trauma and I feel I am moving forward but would like your comment on this situation please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back