1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTSD Symptom Flare Up for Women PTSD Sufferers

Discussion in 'Symptoms & Other Disorders' started by lnicho7, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lnicho7

lnicho7 New Member

I am new to this forum but I have a question for other women who suffer from PTSD. I have been battling this for about 10 years but only diagnosed 4 years ago. I have made a lot of improvements in the last year which was also coupled with a lot of change and stress. I broke off a very unhealthy 6 year relationship a year ago after moving to a new state with him. I was able to continue working on my master's, support myself and get an apartment. I am very far from my family and support system so I have had many ups and downs. Lately my symptoms are on a good spell-I am in a healthy relationship, I see a professional, sleep is better, little to no nightmares and so on. I would say in the last 3 or more months I have noticed a pattern. My symptoms flare up very badly the week before my menstrual cycle. I know our hormones are going crazy but in the week before I seem to just break down. I avoid talking to my friends and family, I am angry, I feel depersonalized and numb at times, I have the urge to break up from my boyfriend because I want to be alone and I just don't feel anything toward anyone and I have to ask myself if my perceptions of what is going on around me, such as my reactions to others, are realistic-if what I am feeling is real or in my head and that is just so scary to not know what is real. I tend to drink too much in this week, make horrible choices, and the nightmares flood back along with the sleep problems. I was just wondering if other women with PTSD have similar experiences and how they cope with their flare ups at this point.
  2. Cecilia

Cecilia New Member

Inicho7

I am the same way. Every single month, my husband can say something like "Do you want to go out and eat?" I will either cry or want to throw something at him! It's a no-win situation.

During that time, I do not make major decisions and I only go out if I want to. I seclude myself from the rest of the family, by saying that I do not feel well.

That's really all I know to do. It is miserable, though and I know I am upset over things that don't normally bother me. So I just wait for it to pass.
  3. SweetpinNH

SweetpinNH New Member

Some of the first symptoms I had of PTSD were related to my cycle. I even went to my GYN before my primary doctor because I thought I was entering perimenopause. With PTSD I get PMS when I never had it before and it's no fun.
  4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Who's trippin' now? Staff Member Premium Member

While I understand what you are saying, I don't think it's necessarliy related to PTSD. Plenty of women have PMS without having PTSD. For me I think my PMS is worse when my PTSD is uncontrolled. But I don't necessarily blame that on my PTSD, maybe it's just that I'm more sensetive, more tearful, more moody etc, and it's easy to blame PTSD. I think if you have PMS and PTSD, that it's a pretty rough combination.

What I'm trying to say is that you may suffer pre-menstrually, and because you have PTSD, it seems worse. But even without PTSD, you would still have PMS.

I actually find my period itself very triggering. PV bleeding reminds me of the bleeding I had after being raped. But I realise this as a trigger for my PTSD, not just my hormones.

When your emotions are all over the place due to PTSD, throw in PMS, and things will seem a whole lot worse. Without PTSD, things would just be a bit worse.

Oh, I can't really describe what I want to say....... maybe I'll come back to this, when my brain is in better working order!
  5. ga yankee

ga yankee New Member

I've noticed the same pattern in the last 6 months. I think my lack of sleep and feeling more emotions rather than the numbing i was so good at for so long are 2 big reasons i turn into a raving bitch the week before. last month it was my husband eating that drove me to the back porch for hours. the month before that was the constant asking me if i'm ok...which he does all the time anyway. i think it's the awareness. i'm in treatment to be more aware of my feelings and triggers and all this other stuff so when my hormones tell me to be a bitch...well, i am. maybe we should see it as a positive...you have the desire to throw things but at least you recognize it:)
  6. Seychelle

Seychelle New Member

I find my period very triggering too - but I don't know why. I don't have memories of actual rape, just glimpses of weird things that make no sense yet. The sexual abuse I remember shouldn't make my period a trigger, I don't really understand this. Maybe it's just bleeding in general. I dunno.

I find the pain from the cramps to be quite triggering as well, also I'm not quite sure why. It's a sickening pain for me. I do have a memory of my mother kicking me repeatedly in the stomach when I was little but I don't get this memory triggered by period pain, it's more general distress. (washing the dishes can be a trigger for that particular memory, though)
  7. maher_nyc

maher_nyc New Member

can any body answer the new lady who asked the 1st question based on her/his experience plz ?
  8. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

I am post menopausal now, but if my memory serves me right...... I was a crazed maniac before my period. I was raging, crying, depressed, just all over the board.

Going through menopause wasn't a walk in the park. It was awful. Worse than PMS. Even now it isn't easy. I have been very depressed for months, and the hot flashes/night sweats were minor during that time. NOW!!!!! The depression has lifted, and the night sweats/hot flashes are back with a vengeance. My anxiety is up slightly also.

I do believe that our hormones have a direct impact with our symptoms of PTSD!!!! JMO!
  9. TLight

TLight VIP Member

My symptoms of PTSD definately worsen in the week prior to my period. I don't believe it is normal PMS..........I get suicidal, depressed, enraged, all the things that I'm managing under 'normal' days much better.
    When this starts happening, I say to myself, "oh, my breasts are tender, that means my period will be starting soon and I'm going to be in for a rollercoaster ride." I just sort of lay low and try to get through it without hurting myself.
  10. FlameTachiku

FlameTachiku New Member

I had a hysterectomy---and those monthy insanity moments stoped after about 6 months. Unbelievable change! I don't recommend the surgery but if you get one for other reasons this was a wonderful benefit. Unexpected and appreciated!