1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

PTSD Symptoms Gone In The Middle Of The Night

Discussion in 'General' started by moki, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moki

moki Guest

Does anyone else experience this? Sometimes, and I mean ONLY sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and while I'm doing a crossword puzzle or something to get back to sleep, I realize that my ptsd symptoms are completely gone (for me, this means I do not have anxiety or fear when I think about my husband). Then I wake up in the morning and, BOOM, it's back and doesn't go away until I sleep at night. So during the day I struggle to be with him in the same room and struggle with my anxiety when I'm around him, like usual.

Granted, the day time stuff is getting better, but very very very slowly (not fast enough for him to tell anything is better). The ther. says it's because my amygdila(whatever the fight or flight part of the brain is called) is asleep at night, so those primitive feelings are gone.

I know from reading this forum that most of you don't experience this, but I found it to be very bizarre. What the ther. said to me makes sense, but since I haven't read it before - I'm not sure what to make of it. It really has been only twice, so maybe it was just a fluke or something.

Anyway, just asking...

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I wish that part was "asleep" as mine sure as hell used to have no issue waking me in the night in a full blown attack.

In time and lots and lots of therapy my nightmares are not near as often and I virtually never wake in an attack anymore. Used to it was nightly.

Now that I am in therapy again and they aim to take me the rest of the way off my meds (will have to wait to be seen)... But if they finally take the last bit of meds out I hope it stays that way. Being well rested, exercising(any amount long as you do it), not drinking, and a regular sleep schedule goes a long way in preventing the night time issues.

4. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

Hello Moki,

Speaking from experience, if you are having the stress of termoil in your relationship with your husband, and you are working to heal, the stress of the interpersonal termiol is going to cause symptoms during the day when the stress occurs. This is not unusual. At the same time, if you are able to sleep with fewer symptoms (nightmares, flashbacks, depression...) then that is a good thing. I wish you well.

LOVE & CARE
    Marilyn S.

5. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

I sometimes (actually, right at this moment) :cuckoo: wake up from a nightmare, then read boring book (something like Lev Tolstoy) to go babk to sleep and am not realy myself the next day. Not myself - I mean very tired and irritative, somewhate amxious and easily triggered. However, it resolves after I sleep the next night. I do not know if this is exactly what you feel, but probably can relate...
    By the way? who know why is that foolish co-co bird in the clock on that picture speaks Russian? Ky-ky means coo-coo.

6. moki

moki Guest

Marilyn, you've got a good point about that. It makes sense since my husband is the one that stresses me out that occasionally that part of my brain might shut off at night once in a while, maybe out of sheer exhaustion!

Linda, I can relate to what you describe in a way. I will have night after night of bad sleep, with nightmares I can't remember, wake up sweating and shaky, then I'll have several nights of really good sleeps and feels like "oh, finally I'm getting over this part!", then back comes the bad sleeps.

How funny that the clock smiley is really russian! He is a Ky Ky Bird in a Ky Ky Clock!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar