• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

BPD Ptsd vs bpd

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s about it in terms of similarities, (aside from manipulative behavior, too, I guess,) but that they do have in common.

You can literally take any 2 disorders and find commonality.

This is, in part, because disorders are made up of human traits ...we all have... Taken to the extreme.

- What's "just" a human trait? (All traits have periods of time where they're accentuated, a new parent suffering from anxiety? Usually doesn't have an anxiety disorder. They're just a new parent, and freaked the hell out.)

- What's a trait raised to the level of pathology? (Aka symptom)

- What level is it raised to? (There are spectrums of normal AND spectrums of pathology. ADHD comes with BIG emotions, for example. Bipolar Disorder? HUGE emotions. What's the difference between big & huge? A lot. How does a person know the difference? Experience.)

- WHY is it raised to the level of pathology? (Aka symptom cause. Is it structural? Chemical? Environmental? Etc.)

List goes on.

Psych is a very BABY science. It's still at the level of feeling a forehead for a fever and checking for spots ...going off of descriptions of illness/injury/infection, and running it against what you've already seen & are experienced with... rather than being able to TEST for them. We can't tell the difference between virus, bacteria, parasite, and we don't have individualized medications for them. We're grouping everything by what we can SEE, and then using same same meds on symptoms (fever? This. Itching? That.) rather than targeted medications for specific issues. And -roughly- the same sorts of treatment. It's pure trial and error of what might work. Baby science. Early days. Frontier med.

Thank you for all the valuable input. I’m sorry some find this thread to be stigmatizing. I hope I wasn’t personally promoting that POV. I take any psychological diagnostic process with a giant grain of salt. However, the cluster of symptoms displayed in PTSD look to most mirror BPD, in DSM terms at least. So I was looking for first hand experience with either or both to clarify some discrepancies.

Definitely I’d agree that having any kind of relationship with someone with BPD can be fraught with difficulty. But it is important to remember that (1) their illness is an indication that they are suffering a great deal; and (2) it is a mental illness, not an intentional maliciousness of character

Thank you! I'm sitting here thinking "I don't do that, or that, or that" and was going to comment how this is rather generalized and that BPD is, like all mental disorders, on a spectrum of sorts. Not all symptoms are found in all BPDers and when all emotions are dialed to their most extreme nothing is done on purpose really. It's being sympothmatic all the time really and that roller coaster really sucks.

I'm considerate, honest, promote others empowerment and I'm consistently caring but I do avoid a lot and suffer quietly a lot. I still suffer from an extreme lack of confidence (although I'm a performance artist, go figure?) self esteem issues, shame, emotional dysregulation

I am as well, on everyone of those points and I have BPD...as well as PTSD.

Thank you! I'm sitting here thinking "I don't do that, or that, or that" and was going to co...
Apparently I do too, but I think it's more complex ptsd. The borderline people in my life are not like this. I agree, it's a spectrum but I don't relate to the whole "disordered personality thing" so much, maybe it's because I've done a lot of honest assessment and transformative work on myself, maybe it's because I have someone loving in my life now, not sure.

But apparently I too have bpd except all my health professionals and my partner tell me I'm " the opposite of someone with bpd" well that's what my psychologist of 7 years and my partner of 8 tell me, and the others tell me I don't have the traits.

So I don't know. My friend who's working in mental health says don't tell people, especially mental health professionals that you have comes PTSD because they will just say oh you mean bpd. Apparently they are synonymous. And I totally relate to c-ptsd not just ptsd because of my history and difficulties as a result. But when I've tried to get help at the local emergency.I was treated really horribly like a piece of excrement walked in on someone's show as if I'm a horrid get-them-out-of-here-as-quickly,as-possible type so that's not really fair, my steroids mum, however, is classically bpd and she is a very abusive person who's assaulted me and gives my man and their sons constant grief and I'm nothing like her. I don't know it's a bid slushy mess and I feel caught up in the middle of it.

My friend who's working in mental health says don't tell people, especially mental health professionals that you have comes PTSD because they will just say oh you mean bpd.
For what it’s worth, my personal experience is the opposite. I see people with bpd get an extraordinarily rough time of it, but when I tell mental health professionals that I have complex ptsd, I think that I’ve universally been met with compassion (by mental health workers, not in general!!)

But apparently I too have bpd except all my health professionals and my partner tell me I'm " the opposite of someone with bpd" well that's what my psychologist of 7 years and my partner of 8 tell me, and the others tell me I don't have the traits.

My therapist says I am not the "typical BPDer" but that doesn't mean I don't have BPD. I think accespting my disorders (all of my disorders) went a long way in my recovery. When I first got to this site BPD was blaring obvious but today, not so much. Accepting a disorder goes a long way. It was the same for PTSD for me. I couldn't work on it until I've accepted I have it. I also suspect that if CPTSD was in the DSM that both would be dropped and CPTSD put in it's place but it's not in the DSM.

My friend who's working in mental health says don't tell people, especially mental health professionals that you have comes PTSD because they will just say oh you mean bpd.

The ICD kept BPD and here:

ICD 11 isn't removing BPD, you can read their planned definition at ICD-11 Beta Draft - Mortality and Morbidity Statistics

They are adding CPTSD, and that is defined at ICD-11 Beta Draft - Mortality and Morbidity Statistics

You can see the differences and @Sandstone really helped to type those differences out in the reply of CPTSD & BPD. I don't tell people I have CPTSD as I am in America, it's not in the DSM, and I have not been diagnosed with CPTSD even though I have the same suspesion. But there is still a difference in CPTSD and BPD. They are not the same.

That was supposed to say my step kids mum. I'm so cranky with this auto stupid making machine.
I think I just have to go up to where you get treatment because Lismore lives in the dark ages of mental health. They don't understand trauma or the effects of trauma at all. I will be writing a letter to ER at some stage to address the horrendous treatment and lack thereof I received to to my erroneous bpd diagnosis and their response to me.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s the ability to be rational. I can see my faults. My ability to see others isn’t compromised. Like I can be acting crazy but also be super rational. I can also feel out of control. I can feel sorry afterward. I can know what I did wrong and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back